Our typical “Realistic Rick” Consulting Sessions look something like this:
- Let’s hear your elevator pitch.
- What’s your biggest priority/target/goal right now? (Short-term? Long-Term?) — X number of users? Y dollars in revenue? Z dollars in funding?
- How close do you think you are [to that milestone] and/or what are the key steps to get there?
- One of these:
a) Tell us why you think you’ll hit that target/goal
b) Tell us why you think an investor should give you money
c) Tell us why you believe your startup will succeed
5. What percentages of startups/entrepreneurs do you think would have similar answers to the last few questions? the same confidence, passion, belief, as you?
6. What are you really F***ING GREAT at? (Or, if cursing isn’t appropriate, “What’s your super-power or competitive advantage?”)
7. I don’t want to see any financials right now; but, from 10,000 feet…
Tell us what your projections show? [However YOU want to explain it…
X dollars in revenue (Year 1? 2? 3?)? Y customers by (date?)? Z% profit margin? Customer Acquisition Cost: $___ and Customer Lifetime Value: $___?]
8. What are some of the key assumptions that get you there? (to one/some/all success indicator(s) from prior answers)… ? [I can explain/elaborate more on what I mean]
9. Let’s say we’re getting in a Time-Machine tonight and going (3? 5? 10?) years into the future to talk to “Future You”…
A) IF your startup is a success, can you tell me what that “success” actually looks like?
B) If, IF, *IF* your startup should fail, can you give your best guess (now) as to what “Future You” will say when you ask “WHY/HOW did we fail??” (Which assumptions did you end up being wrong about?) [When/how did you recognize that and what did you do then?
Persist & Pray? … Pause & Pivot? … Pivot & Persist? … Pull the Plug & Put an end to the Pain?]
Follow-Up Questions you will likely be asked several times after your initial responses above:
a) […] But WHY?
b) […] Do you KNOW that, THINK that, or HOPE that?
c) […] Is that based on a “Reliable OBJECTIVE Indicator” or an “Optimistic Assumption”?
***Contact info@StartupWhatever.com for more info on working with us…. and/or, for a FREE “Realistic Rick” Consulting Session!
P.S. Real testimonials:
- Welp, that was a kick in the nuts
- Every potential founder should be required to talk to you before they start!
- … never would have thought that 15 minutes with [“Realistic Rick”] would be better feedback than my 150 customer discovery surveys [that I had done over] the past 30 days
- This totally made me see how fake all my [friends/family] had been with encouragement [of my idea]… I went back to all of them, asked the right questions this time and [convinced them that] I wanted them to be totally honest, [and that I would take] no offense to whatever they said. Totally different feedback. Those fake-@ss motherf***ers made me waste a year of my life…
- … realized I had never actually thought about why I wanted to be an entrepreneur in the first place or why I had picked [this idea] to start… he definitely gave me a lot to think about! Would not recommend if you don’t take criticism [well] or [if you] get easily offended
***Contact info@StartupWhatever.com for more info on working with us…. and/or, for a FREE “Realistic Rick” Consultation for YOUR Business, GO HERE:
P.S. If your business/idea is an area outside our comfort zone — [admittedly, we would be know help in areas like blockchain or A.I. or medical devices or FinTech] — I’ll probably have to decline so I’m not wasting your time (or mine). Be wary of ANYONE who says they can help you regardless of what your business is!