Since it is that time of year we thought that we would add our thoughts for the year ahead.
1) OTT/CTV will converge TV/digital skills — For the most part, new digital video formats (pre-roll, social, etc.) have stayed in the digital skills camp. OTT/CTV is the first format that is being claimed by both the TV and digital side, even if both are attacking from different angles (demo vs. audiences, etc.). Both sides see a huge market and will continue to claim it belongs in their media plan. Another reason why brands, agencies, and networks need to overcome silos with cross screen teams.
2) Local will lead the way in advanced TV measurement — Breaking Nielsen’s national panel down into 210 individual markets causes major issues on the sampling side and those involved in local marketing are incentivized to adopt alternative currencies faster than national advertisers. This will have the side benefit of ushering in audience buying since these would allow for custom audiences. This trend has already started with announcements from groups like Scripps and Gray.
3) Disney+ will be a success — The Disney catalog of content will provide a compelling reason for subscriber adoption and this service will get traction. However, Wall Street may take a different view if Netflix’s 59M+ domestic subscribers are used as a benchmark.
A few other annual predictions that are worth your time:
1) Pivotal’s Predictions For Media, Internet and Communications In 2019
2) The Ad Tech CEOs Make Their 2019 Predictions
3) Media and advertising could be rocked by some big deals in 2019 — including Comcast buying Cheddar and Netflix buying Snap
4) 2019 Poised To Usher In ‘New Era’ Of Video Marketing