Stellar Dev Digest: Issue #69
Freighter Chrome extension launches, Ultra Stellar acquires StellarX, and Stellar Podcast live this Thursday.
Hey everyone! Welcome to another issue of the Stellar Dev Digest, a weekly recap of all things related to the development of the Stellar Network.
What is Stellar? Stellar is a platform that connects banks, payment systems, and people. Integrate to move money quickly, reliably, and at almost no cost.
News & Posts of the Week
- 🚨 Remember: SDF will never ask for secret keys. SDF cannot reset accounts and will never send out notifications regarding user accounts. If you’ve received an email prompting the above, it is an active phishing attempt. We are currently investigating.
- Making cross-border B2B payments easier in East Africa with ClickPesa. In SDF’s latest blog post, we explore the payment landscape in East Africa, ClickPesa, and how they use the Stellar network. — Read it here.
- Last week, I launched the new and improved Awesome Stellar. It’s now hosted through Gitbook, making it much easier to navigate and contribute to. — Browse around here.
- Crypto on Every Corner: Driving Adoption With Jeremy Allaire and Meltem Demirors. This episode of Unchained is a discussion from Meridian, in which Laura Shin moderated a panel featuring Jeremy Allaire, cofounder, chairman and CEO of Circle, and Meltem Demirors, chief strategy officer at CoinShares. — Listen here.
- StellarX has been acquired by Ultra Stellar, the company behind
Lobstr and StellarTerm. — Read the announcement.
- Velo Labs, Lightnet Group and Visa to develop payment solutions in Asia. — Read the announcement.
- You can now use StellarTerm together with Freighter — a wallet extension for Chrome! — Try it here.
Application of the Week
This week I’m featuring Freighter — a non-custodial wallet extension that enables you to sign Stellar transactions via your browser.
Freighter — built by the Stellar Development Foundation — provides a safer alternative to copying and pasting private keys for use with Stellar-powered web applications.
- You store, control, and manage your own keys in your browser.
- We do not store your private keys or account backup phrase. If you lose your key or backup phrase, you will permanently lose access to your account.
- This software is in beta and is still undergoing final testing and debugging before its official release. You assume the risk of bugs that could lead to loss of funds. Freighter is provided strictly on an “as is” and “as available” basis as part of a limited trial for testing purposes only.
Freighter is currently compatible with:
- Stellar Account Viewer
- Stellar Laboratory
Releases and Updates
Reminder: Protocol 15 is live on main net as of last week! SDF’s Head of Ecosystem, Justin Rice, released blog post detailing what’s included in the new release and what to do if you’re encountering errors in your production environment. Read it here.
If you’re already upgraded, Stellar Core v15.1.0 was released last week and includes a number of stability improvements including:
- Improved clarity of failures in logs when dealing with history archive
- Improved fairness when reading data between peers
- Avoid stalling when broadcasting large messages to lots of peers
Find the full release notes here.
Horizon v1.12.0 was also released last week. It includes two changes:
- Add Prometheus metrics for the duration of ingestion processors (#3224)
- Many Captive Core improvements and fixes (#3232, #3223, #3226, #3203, #3189, #3187)
Find the full release notes here.
⚒ ️Subscribe here to get Stellar maintenance reminders and incident reports sent straight to your inbox.
💬 This week Tyler and I will be going live on The Stellar Podcast, Dec. 3 at 3PM EST.
There’s no strict agenda, but we’ll likely reflect on the news over the past couple of months including the success of Stellar Quest, Meridian 2020, the launch of Protocol 15, and more.
Make sure to set a reminder and come hang out!
Not Yet Signed Up?
Want to get the Stellar Dev Digest and other developer updates directly to your inbox? Sign up for the developer newsletter today!
Did I Miss Something?
If you found that something from this issue is missing or inaccurate reach out to me (kolten) on Keybase and I’ll make sure to fix it 👍