Stellar Dev Digest: Issue #71
Stellar Quest Series 2 launches, Stellar Monthly Roundup, and Bankhaus von der Heydt is issuing a Euro stablecoin.
Hey everyone! Welcome to another issue of the Stellar Dev Digest, a weekly recap of all things related to the development of the Stellar Network.
What is Stellar? Stellar is a platform that connects banks, payment systems, and people. Integrate to move money quickly, reliably, and at almost no cost.
News & Posts of the Week
- The Stellar Monthly Roundup for December 2020 is out! It covers new stablecoin releases, new tools / upgrades, and more. — Catch up here.
- We’ve released a new case study detailing how Tempo and Cowrie are using Stellar to power cross-border payments between Europe and Nigeria. — Find it here.
- A new Euro stablecoin is being issued by one of the oldest banks in the world, Germany’s Bankhaus von der Heydt, and it’s being issued on Stellar. — Read the CoinDesk article here.
- Bitbond’s Founder, Radoslav Albrechtto, joined Sam Conner’s live show to discuss the first Euro stablecoin issued by a banking institution on Stellar. — Listen here.
- Last week on the Stellar Discussions podcast Brian and Daniel covered the two new features that went live on Stellar with the release of Protocol 15: claimable balances and sponsored reserves. — Listen here.
Application of the Week
This week I’m featuring Stellar Quest Series 2! 🚀
The sun has set on series 1 and though the dust from yesterday’s adventure has only just settled — a new set of challenges draws near. Bigger and badder, the second installment of our Quest is coming for you.
If you’re late to the party: Stellar Quest is a gamified educational series of Stellar related technical challenges where players compete to win tokenized badges and XLM prizes. Challenges trickle out over the course of a month and the first one for Series 2 landed today —Dec. 14!
Here’s the schedule for Series 2:
Think you have what it takes? Complete the first challenge here.
Releases and Updates
Horizon v1.13.0 was also released last week and includes the following improvements:
- Improved performance of
- Improved speed of state verification startup time (#3251).
- Multiple Captive Core improvements and fixes (#3237, #3257, #3260, #3264, #3262, #3265, #3269, #3271, #3270, #3272).
Note: Upgrading to this version from version before v1.10.0 will trigger state rebuild. During this process (which can take several minutes) Horizon will not ingest new ledgers. Find the full release notes here.
Last week we released a new version of our analytics dataset that’s updated every 5 minutes. We also open-sourced all of our tooling, allowing you to build and deploy your own Stellar data pipelines.
You can find more information in the announcement post here.
⚒ ️Subscribe here to get Stellar maintenance reminders and incident reports sent straight to your inbox.
💬 Technical discussions have slowed a bit going into the holidays, so I’d like to highlight two awesome podcasts from last week:
Stellar’s Co-Founder and Chief Architect, Jed McCaleb, joined The Pomp Podcast to discuss payment technologies, how Stellar works, the STABLE Act, financial inclusion, and the future of money. Listen here.
SDF’s CEO and Executive Director, Denelle Dixon, joined the Decrypt Daily podcast to give her take on the Bankhaus von der Heydt news, share why Stellar was built for stablecoins, and more! Listen here.
Not Yet Signed Up?
Want to get the Stellar Dev Digest and other developer updates directly to your inbox? Sign up for the developer newsletter today!
Did I Miss Something?
If you found that something from this issue is missing or inaccurate reach out to me (kolten) on Keybase and I’ll make sure to fix it 👍