Top 5 Spinal Cord Injury Prevention Tips
It goes without saying that nobody ever dreams that they will be one to sustain a fatal spinal cord injury, but they do happen. However, taking a proactive approach for preventing spinal cord injuries, by learning the major causes and prevention techniques of these types of injuries, can help in significantly reducing your risk. Moreover, a spinal cord injury can happen due to numerous reasons such as vehicle accidents, falls, and trauma among many others. Besides, there are a number of treatment options available for spinal cord injuries such as stem cell therapy among many others.
Furthermore, spinal cord injuries often leave the victims with many long term complications such as respiratory problems, muscle problems, changes in circulation among many others that must be coped with for the remainder of the victim’s life. Not to worry, read on to find out some useful tips to prevent spinal cord injuries.
1. Prevent falls- One of the major causes of spinal cord injuries are falls. Moreover, you can minimise the risk of falls in your house by making sure the entrance areas are properly lit and indoor stairs and hallways are kept clear and uncluttered. In addition, for young kids, you can use safety gates for blocking stairs or install window guards.
2. Drive safely- Without a doubt, a crucial factor that you need to take into account for preventing spinal cord injuries is driving safely. Furthermore, when you are driving or are a passenger in a car, make sure you wear a seat belt. Add to that, you should also drive within the speed limit to ensure that you have complete control over the vehicle at all times.
3. Safety equipment and protective gear- When it comes to preventing spinal cord injuries make sure you wear safety equipment and protective gear when you are taking part in contact sports like football, hockey among others. Furthermore, you should avoid extreme sports such as skydiving, bungee jumping, base jumping among others.
4. Check the water depth- If you want to prevent spinal cord injuries, make sure you never dive headfirst into the water or carefully check the water level before diving. Moreover, entering feet first is safer than diving. Besides, a large number of people have sustained spinal cord injuries because the water was not deep enough or contained large rocks.
5. Never drink and drive- Another major factor that you need to consider for preventing spinal cord injuries is making sure that you don’t drive while intoxicated or under the influence of drugs. Furthermore, you need to make sure that you don’t ride with a driver who is been drinking.
While these were some of the tips for preventing spinal cord injuries, there are many others, such as placing non-slip mats and installing grab bars in your bathtub, maintaining a healthy lifestyle among many others. Besides, there are a number of treatment options available for spinal cord injuries. Nonetheless, make sure you keep in mind the above-mentioned tips and tricks for reducing your risk of a spinal cord injury.