Disrupting Supermarkets/Retail: Amazon Fresh
Yesterday Amazon started its online delivery service for food products in some areas of Berlin and Potsdam (both in Germany) called “Amazon Fresh”.
So why will this disrupt classical supermarkets? Here some facts about the service:
- More than 85.000 goods available. A good German supermarket offers around 12.000 goods (only).
- Flexible delivery options from Monday till Sunday within 2 hours and even at the same day.
- Pic up delivery option from 5 am till 10 pm at a secure location.
- Besides fresh vegetables, fruits, meat, fish, milk and other refrigerated products it offers 6.000 organic food products from one of the biggest German organic supermarket (Basic).
- More than 100 products of local Berlin stores like Lindner Esskultur, Rausch Schokoladenhaus Berlin, Sagers Kaffeerösterei, Zeit für Brot.
- Available for Amazon Prime members (Amazons premium service with a large variety of services for only € 69/year) for € 9.99/month
So, families and busy workers can do their weekly shopping for daily consumer products online via the Amazon smartphone app.
I really think that the classical way of shopping even FMCG (Fast-moving consumer goods) has already been changed. This new service by Amazon will be also a big leap forward into our bright future of ubiquitous digital possibilities.