Hello and thank you for thinking of STORIUS! Please check out our About page to see if our magazine is the right fit for your materials. If it sounds like it is, let’s talk.
What We Are Looking For
We cover a broad range of storytelling subjects, and at this point are particularly interested in the following topics (stand-alone articles and multipart series):
- Filmmaking (movies and TV)
- Emerging forms (serial fiction, interactive movies, chat stories, etc.)
- Storytelling in business (marketing, advertisement, sales, pitching, etc.)
- Storytelling tech
- Books and publishing
- Visual storytelling (graphic design and photography)
- Content monetization models
- Storytelling in gaming
- Psychology of storytelling
- Interviews with successful storytellers
- Events coverage (screenwriter summits, film festivals, book expos, etc.)
We are always open to new ideas, so please do reach out with your proposals using the process described below. We want to hear the perspectives of people in various roles, including writers, filmmakers, editors, agents, casting directors, publishers, concept artists, and others (especially if they offer practical advice our readers).
We do not publish:
- Unsolicited stories that have been published elsewhere.
- Promotional posts. You are welcome to mention your business in your articles, but in order to be published, your content must offer value to our readers regardless of whether or not they click on your links.
- Unsolicited fiction and poetry.
Things we like:
- Informed perspectives. We want our readers to hear expert perspectives. You don’t have to be an award-winning storyteller to have your materials published with us, but you should have some expertise in the subject you are writing about.
- High quality. This applies to text and images alike. Please proofread your materials before submitting and include high-quality pictures and/or graphics. Unsplash, Pexels, The Stocks, and Burst are great sites to get free stock photos. We also highly encourage original photos and illustrations.
- Highly quotable content. While our home base is Medium, our content model includes promotion of our articles on multiple channels, such as Instagram (@storiusmag) and LinkedIn. The more quotable your content is, the more likely we will be able to use it to promote your article elsewhere.
- Concise but deep. The target size for our articles is 1.5–2.5K words, although we’re open to shorter and longer pieces. We strongly prefer materials that provide valuable insights, while staying on topic. We are not interested in shallow or repetitive content.
- At this point we accept both paywalled (via Medium Partner Program) and free stories, leaving the choice up to the author.
- We ask that once an article is published at STORIUS, it remains in our publication and is not published elsewhere on Medium.
- Author bylines should be 1–2 sentences long and can include up to 2 links (no embedded forms).
- Our typical response time is 48 hours. If you haven’t heard from us within 3 days after submitting a story, it is safe to assume that we won’t be publishing it.
- We reserve the right to edit content and graphics where necessary. Typical modifications we make include adding the standard footer/kicker, light copyediting, and as needed, adjusting the display title/subtitle/tags, and replacing the header image to fit Storius’ visual style.
If that all sounds good, here are some simple steps for submitting your work for consideration:
Becoming a contributor
- In order to publish your content at STORIUS you need to have a Medium account. If you already have one, simply submit a request to contribute via the form below.
- If you don’t have a Medium account and want to touch base with us before creating one, send us an email and include the following:
- A brief pitch for an article/series you want to write or topics you want to cover
- Your credentials as an expert in the space you want to write about
- Links to your published materials representative of your writing style
Submitting an article
If you are approved as a contributor, you can start submitting your articles (unpublished drafts only) via Medium’s process for adding a draft to a publication.
We want STORIUS to have a very distinctive voice, so not every article, even if very well written, will be a good fit. Pitching your article in advance saves you time and ensures that your article is in line with our editorial vision. To pitch, send us a short email and we will get back to you shortly.
We look forward to hearing from you!