Sasom 2.0: Rationale, Re-Branding, Introduction, and Feature Updates
A brand new website: Taking Sasom to the next level
At Sasom we believe in the Eric Ries’ startup philosophy of “Build, Measure, Learn.” This lean startup philosophy encourages us to build a minimum viable product (MVP) as soon as we identify a problem that we are trying to solve. After building the MVP, we then measure how customers respond through validated learning, and then decide whether to pivot or persevere.
It took us until April of 2019 to finally launch the first version of our product: sasom.co.th. While there were many bugs that we had to fixed, and angered some customers along the way, the overall response was positive.
After launching the Sasom MVP for a bit more than 6 months, we have grown to better understand the market landscape, our customers (both buyers and sellers), as well as what to consider when improving and localizing our product for Thailand and Southeast Asia. Upon reflection, we realized many factors that were overlooked. One of which was during the months of June and July, when we received more website traffic than we thought, but were unable to build a solid enough infrastructure to capitalize on that spike in active users. It wasn’t until a month later that we actually realized how many active users we had in those months. Our bounce rate was high, but we knew that we were doing something right to be able to attract that many users, we just had to tweak our product to fit our customers’ needs.
We continuously engaged with our customers throughout these 6 months. We observed their behaviors, asked for their opinions, and listened/addressed their concerns. We try to do what we can to improve Sasom 1.0, but there were clear limitations, so we knew that we had to build a new product very soon.
Which was why we decided to re-brand, and create a completely improved version of our website: Introducing Sasom 2.0. Mainly, our new website aims to add more value, and create a smoother experience for all of our users. A smoother experience in this context means easily able to find products that they are looking for, able to easily bid/ask at a price that they are happy with, as well as able to find more information on the website to aid with whatever they may need in their decision to purchase or to sell. We also introduced many new features to Sasom 2.0.
Here are some observations that we pinpointed with Sasom 1.0:
- Many consumers were confused as to how to go from finding a shoe that they desire to checkout. This has a lot to do with the bid/ask model that makes it a bit confusing. However, once customers got used to this model, it comes quite naturally for them.
- Consumers were not confident enough to purchase products from Sasom. This is due to two main reasons: Unsure of how each shoe fits them, and not enough photos to incentivize them to purchase.
- After interactions with many sellers, we found out that lack of storage space and shipping costs are common problems with small sellers. Many resellers are reselling as a side hustle, and often have other responsibilities. We tried to learn as much as we could and identify every pain point that these sellers have, and try to think of a solution to help them.
- The second hand market for sneakers is in need of a platform like Sasom. We received many requests from users asking about selling pre-owned sneakers. We identified the pre-owned secondary market for sneakers to be extremely noteworthy in Thailand and worldwide.
- There are many product requests for other product categories that are adjacent to sneakers such as streetwear, toys, and bags. It is our duty to improve our product to satisfy these needs.
New Features for Sasom 2.0
- More Categories: We will be adding two more categories into Sasom. Pre-owned Sneakers, Deadstock & Pre-Owned Streetwear/Apparels, and accessories. Click here to read more about the conditions guidelines for pre-owned sneakers.
- User profile: We will be upgrading the UI for every user’s profile. Users will be able to clearly see all of their ask/bid, will be able to upload a profile picture, and will be able to print shipping labels for each confirmed orders. We are keen on adding more features into the profile section, stay tuned!
- Introducing vendor program: Sasom 2.0 allows sellers to choose if they want Sasom to manage their inventory for them. Once decided to join, we will create a customized spreadsheet that tracks all of your inventory. We will store and ship the items out for you (saving a lot of time, shipping costs, and inventory space). We will also send a customized analytics report for the sellers to gain a better idea of how their business is doing.
- More Photos: We will be integrating pictures from multiple angles for every product, as well as “on-feet” photos starting with products under “collections”. This feature will allow customers to make a more well-informed purchase.
- Fit Guide: An informative fit guide that helps consumers make a more educative decision before making a purchase. The fit guide will help customers decide which size they should buy for each shoe model.
- Newsletter: Introducing newsletter program that introduces hot deals, promotions, and updates for customers who subscribe.
- More features coming soon!