Contribute Your Work To Storymaker
Help make this world a better place. Share your creative ideas, your artwork, writing, music and unique creations on Storymaker
My name is Larry G. Maguire, I am a writer and artist. I set up this publication here on Medium as a place where creative people like you and me can share our art, writing, music and unique ideas as a means to promote creative expression, freedom and a better way to live.
Many of us are slowly realising the default model for a successful career and life doesn’t work — we need a better way. We believe it’s the job of the creative person, The Storymaker, to show that way to the world by following our in-built creative impulses.
If you are a creative person and you’d like to spread the word about your work and ideas then we want to hear from you.
Here’s How It Works
We don’t want Storymaker to become a place for spam heads so there’s a few ground rules in making your submissions. 10 rules to be exact;
- You Must Have A Medium Profile. I’m afraid we don’t accept Word docs etc. because with Word we need to do all the formatting for you. Sorry dudes, I just don’t have the time. You have to have a profile here on Medium and your post must be created on Medium but unpublished to any other publication.
- You’ll Be Added As A Writer. Once your piece is published here on Storymaker you’ll be added as a writer with the Storymaker publication. You will then be able to publish new pieces as drafts whenever you please. However, they will be queued to go out as per our editorial process. That means they won’t be published one after another.
- You Must Introduce Your Piece. Rather than just jumping right in, initially we’d like you to share a paragraph describing yourself and your story (via email — see below). Is it an extract from a current book? Is is a new creative idea? Is it an opinion piece? Is it a drawing? Is it a research based article? What’s the background, how did the idea come about?
- Aim between 800 and 3000 words — no more. Less than that might be ok but we figure that to tell a story it must have some substance and less than 800 words probably won’t do it. That’s not to say your story will be rejected. Most stories will be accepted once it’s not blatant spam.
- Add a full width image. Your article must have a full width image, which can be your book front page, artwork or some other representative image. Make your image 2000 x 1000 px. Your image shouldn’t be a spammy image with “buy it now” slogans etc. Make it tasteful and appropriate. Check out Unsplash, Twenty20 or Pixabay for images.
- Only one link to sales page please. If you have a piece for sale then add a link to your sales page on your website or Amazon or where ever but only once at the bottom. If there are multiple links to sales pages throughout the piece they will be removed or your article may be rejected. The idea here is that we keep it real, not spammy and hard selling.
- Email List Signup Forms are allowed. If you have an email signup form on the foot of your post that’s fine. In fact I’d encourage you to get one if you don’t already. Try Upscribe
- Include An Author Profile. At the bottom of your piece, include your author profile just as I have done below. Create it whatever way you like, link to your website, your book again if you wish (it’s ok to do that here just not more than once in the article). Try using SMedian created by Lincoln W Daniel to a create a more dynamic author profile.
- We Don’t Do Erotica. Sexually explicit material is off the menu here. Not that we are prudes or shun sex or anything, on the contrary sex is good! it’s just this is not the place for it. If you write porn then Storymaker is not for you.
- Comment On Other Author’s Stories. Storymaker is a place where creative people can interact and share stories and ideas. It’s a place where you can get help refining your work and make connections with others. So it’s important that we interact and comment on each others material.
To Make A Submission Do This
Here’s how to make your first submission. Afterwards you’ll be added as a contributor and can submit via submit a story section in your Medium profile;
Click on the request to contribute button below this article,
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with;
- A paragraph about yourself and why you’d like to share your piece on Storymaker.
- Your Medium profile link
- Your story link (on Medium)
So I think that’s about it. Go ahead and create your article then shoot me a mail and we’ll get you published here on Storymaker.
Howdy, I’m Larry, Writer & Artist. Thanks for taking the time to read my stuff. I write short stories about the ordinary lives of people and the challenges they face. My stuff can be edgy, hard hitting, and sometimes controversial, but never contrived. If that’s your bag you can Sign-up To Sunday Letters Here.