How big is the education market in the US? Report from White House
This was cited by the white house report
The education market is estimated to be about $1.3 trillion dollars, and usually broken down into 4 major sectors:
- Early childhood educaion: ~$70 bllion
- K-12: ~$670 billion
- Higher eduation: ~$475 billion
- Adult learning, continued education: $55 billion
Each of these, in turn, breaks down to some of the sectors you mentioned:
- Tutoring/test-prep: ~$1 billion, including higher and adult ed may put it around $5 billion.
- Online Post Secondary: $20 billion
- Textbooks: $7–8 billion
Some general stats:
- Almost 9% of US GDP is spent on education, it’s the second largest market, behind healthcare, in the United States
- There are about 100,000 public schools, 30,000 private schools, and roughly 4,000 charter or other schools in the K-12 space in the U.S.