We’ve all seen the photos of our friends posing in some spectacularly stunning Airbnb somewhere in the world — filling us with envy and making us want to get online and book the place for ourselves. If you style your Airbnb right — your guests will do your marketing for you.
With more than 5 million listings worldwide and over 400 million travelers using the platform to date, Airbnb has never been more popular. The share economy has upturned the hospitality industry into a digital-first business where anyone can run their own hotel out of their home. Most people sleeping over at their destination would need a “home away from home.” Of course, there have always been companies that take care of that. But Airbnb brought in a new and interesting twist into the market.
To help you design a successful Airbnb, we have provided 20 design tips for homeowners looking to turn their properties into profit. Remember, it’s all about first impressions, and having that “curb appeal” will ultimately bring in people seeking one-of-a-kind experiences.
- Like any other architecture project, respecting the site is key to good design. What are people visiting and eager to see in the city/town? What’s so unique about the location? Reflect on the city’s culture and capture its essence through the space’s architecture and furniture. Use local, authentic material produced in the city for furniture and decorative elements. Highlight the buildings’ unique architectural details through decor, paint, or wallpaper.
- Similar to hotels, the bedroom is the most important room of the property. Make sure every room is spacious enough to fit a bed, sufficient storage space, and allow for proper circulation around the room (bonus points if each room has its private bathroom).
- Open up kitchens and dining rooms for unconstrained circulation.
- Use durable material (cotton, leather, and microfibers for furniture, and quartz for countertops) as every item in the household will be used frequently, on a daily basis.
- Pay attention to the design of seasonal areas in the house: balconies during summer/spring and the chimney area during the winter.
- Utilise local art to decorate your Airbnb. Support local artists and small businesses while giving your property a story to tell. Don’t hesitate to tell your guests the stories on your walls and their stay at your place will be written deeper into their memory.
- Depending on your budget, try not to use roller blinds. Heavier curtains work really well and are an important detail that adds warmth to a room — which is vital in the winter months.
- Just be honest. Think of your Airbnb listing like your dating profile. Show your best self but don’t exaggerate your dimensions.
- Opt for lighter interior colors to give the space a more illuminated mood.
- Create more wall space by moving doors towards the end of the walls instead of situating them in the middle of the room.
- Use unique furniture for your Airbnb interior design. Adding in some antique and vintage furnishings along with some new items makes a vacation rental feel more authentic and high-end.
- Use smaller sized kitchen appliances (mini fridge, mini stove) for space optimization. People are on vacation so they will not be spending all their time cooking and cleaning in the kitchen.
- Separating a space with glass doors will practically divide the area into two functional rooms while maintaining the optical illusion of one large space.
- Vertical details can distract you from a room’s small area. Install vertical elements (free-standing mirrors, tall light fixtures) to create the illusion of a bigger space.
- If the property will be hosting more than one family, focus on the common areas (foyer, kitchen, dining rooms). Unify the bedrooms’ design to ensure that everyone is benefiting from the shared space.
- Landscaping is very important if the property is situated on a site that caters to the outdoors.Provide an outdoor entertainment area by adding decks, fire pits, pools, or pergolas to enhance the surrounding landscape.
- If you have a pool, make sure to conceal all the exposed drainage pipes.
- Social media exposure can make or break your business. Create ideal social media posts using unique furniture pieces, engaging wall murals, picturesque architectural elements, stunning outdoor spaces. It gives the room a focus and of course, creates the whole experience highly ‘Instagrammable.’
- Invest in a photographer or high-quality photos for your Airbnb listing. Photos should be high-resolution, taken during the day, in landscape format. Remove clutter, set the scene, and capture the personality of your property.
- Invest in an architectural floor plans for your Airbnb listing. This gives you a perfect imaginative guide as to how the place will look before you physically arrive there and when combined with interior and exterior photography can give you all the information you need before actually visiting the place.
If you haven’t used Airbnb before, now is a good time to sign up!
Thanks for reading! :)
Originally published at https://www.tmd.studio on April 22, 2019.