Supporter Social and Meetup with Supporters Union and MLS in Austin: Sunday, 10/22/2017 @ 7:30pm
We’re happy to announce that on Sunday, October 22nd, at 7:30PM, in addition to our quarterly MLS in Austin meetup, we will be holding a Supporter Social for all Austin soccer fans. The social is free to attend and will be held at Haymaker, the soccer watch party headquarters for multiple Austin supporters groups.
This is the event that we’ve been planning and teasing since summer. It’s also been way too long since we got together with a bunch of members from Austin’s other SGs. Additionally, there’s much to look forward to and discuss on the local professional soccer front, with lots of progress and potential toward USL and MLS.
Supporters Union has had a simple mission to connect soccer fans across Austin with each other and promote the beautiful game. Supporters Union 2.0 will continue that mission, but will expand coverage and support services for promoting Austin professional soccer (MLS and USL).
MLS in Austin
We’re moving the focus of MLS in Austin SG toward more supporters group activities and not just MLS news and information. We’ll be adding committees, expanding the leadership team, and planning many more events in 2018 as we plan to continue our rapid membership growth. If you’ve ever wanted to help build a supporters group, this is a great time to learn more and hop aboard.
What to Expect
- Snacks and Drinks.
- Giveaways. We’ll have t-shirts, magnets, stickers, and other kinds of Austin supporter gear to hand out (while supplies last).
- Videos. We’ll be recording fan testimonials and Q&A for the new Supporters Union and MLS in Austin SG websites, social, and other places. 2018 will see us creating more visibility of what you already know: Austin is a soccer city.
- Photos. Like the videos, we want to feature the faces of real soccer fans to help promote Austin and your SG.
- Interviews. The team from the new Podcast “The Assist” will be onsite. We want to hear more voices from the Austin soccer community. What better way than in a communal setting — unless you’re the sound person, then it sucks.
- Meet’n’Greet. Whether this is your first meetup or your fourth of the year. Mix and mingle with other soccer fans and a great opportunity to grab a pint with Austin supporters without having to hate them for 90 minutes from a bar across town.
- Talks. Hear from members of Austin SGs on some of their community outreach and experience building soccer culture in Austin.
Topics to Mingle By
- We’ll have a lot to discuss around plan for growing the soccer community in Austin in 2019. We’ll also be rolling out the next act for Supporters Union and MLS in Austin, as well as sounding a call to action for supporters from groups all over Austin to join us.
- Team and supporters branding chat
- Building supporters groups in Austin
- How to get a stadium built in Austin and why you should care even if you’re not an MLS fan
- Updates and predictions on the MLS expansion race and updates on Austin
What Do You Need to Do
- RSVP. Space will be limited.
- Show up
- Bring a friend or 4
- If you’re part of another supporters group in Austin or part of an organization with a charitable soccer tie-in, we’ll be trying to reach out to invite your group. It doesn’t hurt for you to pass around the link to this article within your group however.
Let’s celebrate Austin soccer supporter culture together and talk about how to grow it heading into 2018. Time to fire up the scarves and go supporting.
Thank you for your support!
If you found this article interesting, please click the “applause”👋 icon a bunch of times to help other local soccer fans and members of the Austin community find it. Click the “follow” button to keep up with the latest Supporters Union and MLS in Austin stories on Medium.