Staying motivated can be tough. It’s a crazy world out there and there are a lot of ways we’re told we can’t do things.
These are some of the things I’ve found to help me stay motivated:
1. Keep the end goal in mind.
This is by far the most important aspect of staying motivated. If I don’t have an end goal in mind, I can’t really function. I need to know what I’m working towards.
You don’t get somewhere by getting in the car and driving until you land somewhere. You decide where you want to go, you get in the car, and you drive to where you want to land.
That’s the most effective way to get somewhere.
Even if you’re in the mood to just wander around a bit, you still have an end goal in mind (to wander around a bit and maybe find somewhere cool to land). If you have absolutely no goal in mind, the car won’t move. You aren’t going anywhere.
When I run into barriers, it’s the end goal that keeps me going.
This leads into my next point:
2. Choose to work on things that matter.
Your end goal should mean something to you. It doesn’t have to be something that changes the world, but at the very least your end goal should make you happy. If it doesn’t, what’s going to motivate you in the first place?
3. Take care of your physical needs.
It’s really difficult to keep going, to work hard, to give your all, when your body is drooping from exhaustion and malnutrition.
Take care of your physical needs, get the right amount of sleep, eat properly and exercise.
It’s much easier to concentrate when you aren’t in pain or battling eyelids that just won’t stay open.
Sometimes I get really stressed and feel down. The first thing I do when this happens is to go get food. 95% of the time, this solves the problem. The other 5%, I take a nap or get coffee.
This doesn’t mean that any bad mood you have is because you don’t have enough food or sleep, but when your mood doesn’t seem to make sense, check your fuel levels first.
4. Keep track of how you’re doing.
A big part of staying motivated is keeping track of the progress you are making.
This is something I continually have to work at. I’m always willing to beat myself up about how I’m not “there” yet, how I need to do more, work harder, etc. But it’s important to recognize how far you’ve come. The progress you have made.
There are so many steps that add up to the big picture in achieving anything. It’s easy to lose sight of how far you’ve come when you focus only on what’s left to be done. By taking a step back every now and then and looking at what you’ve built so far, you’ll have an easier time carrying on.
5. Work hard.
This one seems self-explanatory. But the fact remains that many people don’t achieve their goals simply because they don’t work hard enough.
Great things don’t come without work and a lot of it.
By working hard you’ll make faster progress. Progress is the best motivation.
6. Spend time with motivated people or don’t spend time with people at all.
That sounds harsh, but it’s necessary. You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with. Unmotivated people will drag you down.
Surround yourself with people who are just as hard working, motivated and inspired as you are and you’ll have an easier time.
Yawning is contagious. Ever yawn in a crowd?
Laughter is contagious.
Depression is contagious.
Motivation is contagious.
If you don’t believe me, go crash a funeral. I guarantee you you’ll feel sad even though you have no personal relation with the deceased.
7. Remember the only way you’ll lose is if you give up.
We’re lucky enough to live in a world where the only person who’s truly capable of stopping you is you.
As long as you keep at it and never give up, you can’t lose.
You might meet some barriers. Things might suck for a while. You may get hurt. But you won’t lose.
The way out, the way up, is through. You get through by knowing where you’re going and giving it your all.
There you have it. Now get out there and smash your goals.
Thank you for reading!
If this story helped you in any way, use the clap button to get it seen by more people.