There are three reasons people listen to a podcast: an unusual sense of intimacy, the ability to productively multitask while driving or working out and great stories–the power of narrative.
Like many converts, I listen to podcasts while traveling and working out. Fifty-two percent of people listen to podcasts while driving, 46 percent while traveling and 40 percent while walking, running or riding a bike.
- 60% of the US population is familiar with the term “podcasting” — up from 55% in 2016
- 50% of all US homes are podcast fans (Nielsen, Aug 2017)
- 40% (112 million) of the US population has listened to a podcast — up from 36% in 2016
- 15% (42 million) listen to podcasts weekly — up from 13% in 2016
- 36% of podcast listeners are non-white — vs 30% in 2010 (Nielsen, Aug 2017)
- Podcast listeners are much more active on every social media channel (94% are active on at least one — vs 81% for the entire population)
- Podcast listeners are more likely to follow companies and brands on social media
- Podcast listeners are more likely to subscribe to Netflix or Amazon Prime (meaning they are less likely to be exposed to TV advertising)
What Does This Mean?
It means that the future of voice-enabled tech looks bright, and it seems obvious that podcasting is moving into the next phase along with the technology.
All the giant tech companies are entering or have planned to enter the market with their own devices:
- Amazon with Amazon Echo family devices (Alexa)
- Google with Google Home (and the personal assistant on Android)
- Apple with Homehub (and the personal assistant Siri on iPhone and iPad)
- Microsoft with Invoke, a Cortana-powered smart speaker
- Alibaba with Tmall Genie
- Samsung is working on a smart speaker powered by its new Bixby voice assistant
- Lenovo is working on its Alexa-powered smart device (creating skills and briefing off the back of Amazon)
- Facebook is reportedly building an Amazon Echo-like smart speaker that will launch at the end of 2018
- Sonos is going to release a smart speaker that can support multiple voice assistants.
Why YOU should start a Podcast?
The power of human voice conveys much more meaning through tone and inflection than the printed word ever can.
(1) Mobile Mobile & Mobile:
Podcast is perfect medium for smartphones, in fact you can listen to a podcast while you’re using any other application. Anchr in my opinion its the fastest and easiest way to distribute and record — it is an app that allows you to record and share soundbites of yourself talking. These soundbites are called “waves”. Anchor’s tagline is “The World’s First True Public Radio. No high-tech equipment is required, simply talk onto your phone or headphones mic and distribute your spill.
(2) Digital storytelling “Anytime, Anywhere”.
One of the beauties of storytelling podcast is its mobility and accessibility: with the advent of smartphones, a podcast can be listened to anywhere — in a car, at an office, in a coffee shop, on a treadmill and a host of other places.
(3) Brand awareness and Specific Distribution.
Here is an audience of millions of people out there who wants to listen on demand 24/7, who wants portable, free and customized contents. Offering regular long form content keeps people connected with your brand. Podcasts are becoming the brand’s spokesperson and facilitate the brand message to stand out within its sector.
Have you ever thought of reaching not only readers but also listeners in platforms where you are not yet present? This is possible, through simple reading of the contents. Do you already send a newsletter? What if you also send an audio newsletter? An interesting fact I can give you, is that some of my clients, simply by inserting audio into their newsletters, have recorded an increase of listening of up to 1600% compared to the initial expectations.
(4) Engagement & Differentiation:
According to a recent study, about 85% of podcast listeners said they listened to all or a large part of the episodes. By starting a podcast you not only distinguish yourself from those who compete with you for the attention of a specific niche, but you also give an alternative to the written content.
The Time is NOW.
Entrepreneurship mogul Gary Vaynerchuk summarises as follows: “Just remember, audio and voice are by far the most natural interface for humans to interact. We like to speak and listen. There was roughly 1.5X more audio consumed than video according to Nielsen statistics on streaming in 2016. This is HUGE. If you’re medium is voice, now is your time. Start creating today. Start a podcast, turn your blog posts into audio, develop an Alexa skill or start experimenting with Google Home. Before AR and VR and AI, audio is going to be the next major platform shift for consumer attention. It’s here today! What are you going do?”
The time for audio is now!
All I’m trying to do…
…is write stuff that’s worth your time and can bring you value. If you enjoyed the read please click the💚 below so other people will see it too (you can click up to 50times)!!
Also, it would absolutely make my day if you reached out and said ‘Hey!’ via DM on instagram. Really looking forward to connect! 😊