How to do a music mashup using Audacity
Like many young people nowadays I have seen the blockbuster film Pitch Perfect, in which we see Anna Kendrick combining several songs into one track. After seeing this film I knew that I wanted to learn how to do these mashups, however I am cheap and did not want to spend any money.
I decided to download a program known as Audacity to start my music mashups. It took me a little while to figure out how to maneuver the program but now I feel confident enough to show you a tutorial on how to mix and mashup some songs!
I decided to create a video to show you how to make music mashups, for this program it really is needed because without the instructions can become confusing.
If you would prefer to read the instructions here is a brief step by step instruction guide:
- Download the Audacity app if you do not already have it on your computer and open it up. Download Audacity Here: http://www.audacityteam.org/download/
- You will then want to Import your first song, go to File, Import, Audio, and then select the first song you are using.
- Repeat step 2 for your second song.
- Now to edit your songs you will want to first make the volume the same. Do this by highlighting the louder song, go to effects and click on amplify to change the volume.
- To cut out a section of the song simply highlight the desired cut, go to edit, and click cut. To paste that section back into the track go back to edit and click paste.
- You can also add silence by highlighting a given area, going up to generate and clicking silence.
- In order to put your work out into the world, simply go to File, export, and click through to save. You now have an mp3 file on your computer of your mashup.
I hope you find this tutorial helpful. Now get out there and start mashing music!