Digital identities and transparency of vehicle-generated for the automotive sector.
Tamper-proof digital identities for Mobility-as-Service.
While the market prospects for new mobility and autonomous vehicles look very promising, cyber-security and reliability remain the major roadblocks for the wider adoption of automotive IoT. To tackle this, we need to establish secure and auditable digital identities for connected cars and AVs to secure the authentication and vehicle-generated data. When serving our clients, we use the Taraxa ledger to process data collected from auto vehicles along with proper hardware support to ensure data source and invariance. In doing so, the only access control performed is whether or not the transaction was signed by the correct private key — whoever has access to the private key is the owner.
With HELIO — our hardware solution for IoT asset monitoring, both automotive application platform providers & operators will benefit from real-time tracking and analytics thanks to cryptographically secure endpoints.
Right now, we are building a DLT-based infrastructure with tamper-proof identities to enable Mobility-As-Service for one of the largest automotive OEMs in the world. They use Helio for:
Reliable connectivity and anti-tampering behavior.
- Vehicles are identified through cryptographic keys that ensure secure communications and data sharing.
- Cryptographically-enhanced hardware modules with secure boot (SB) process and transmit sensor data to the cloud where it is anchored to Taraxa’s blockchain ledger for further audits. SB ensures that only an entity with the right private key is able to load applications into the microcontroller.
- Every module has onboard key generation and signature functions to maintain hardware independence, while the application logic to the MCU that completes the disable write access permission in advance to ensure anti-tampering behavior.
Enhanced security and privacy:
- Taraxa’s modules mitigate the risks of breaches and private data leaks.
- Transparency and user ownership of vehicle-generated data: know what data goes where and monitor the data flows.
Complete vehicle data traceability for automakers, car retail, and peer-to-peer dealerships.
The second-hand car market is rife with fact-checking concerns — from the lack of mechanisms to check the accuracy of the car’s history of ownership to costly third-party audit reports. One of our clients is a major Japanese auto dealer who has been dealing with the exact same problem.
With Taraxa’s fast enrollment auditing software, both car retailer platforms (such as Carvana and Vroom, among others) and car dealer groups will be able to deliver a smoother customer experience and drive user growth.
We offered them a cost-effective bundle of software and hardware solutions by installing secure hardware modules (microcontrollers with secure boot) to each vehicle’s odometer and accelerometer. This drastically improves their operations in the following senses:
- Highly accurate vehicle-related data enables analysis capabilities for smart maintenance, scheduled upgrades, and novel subscription services.
- Complete audit track of all transactions (facts and events) related to this particular vehicle: mileage, ownership, the vehicle’s accident history, and many more.
- Car buyers can instantly pull up a car history report without involving third-party services such as CarFix, etc.
- A vehicle ownership token allows current owners to grant access to the audit reports to prospective buyers at no extra cost.