My first week as a teacher
I would like to apologize to all the teachers I’ve ever annoyed.
The verdict: being a teacher is hard work. I knew this coming in, but after doing it for a week I truly believe that teaching is one of the most difficult jobs in the world.
Now that I’ve finished my first week teaching 7th grade math at McNair summer school, here are my takeaways from the week:
- 90% of my class time was spent on behavior management.
- While teaching is one of the most challenging jobs in the world, it’s also one of the most rewarding. There is no better feeling than seeing your students grow as people.
- Students will test your boundaries, patience and sanity every step of the way.
- Be dorky.
- Don’t compare yourself to others. It’s frustrating to see other classrooms working efficiently while yours is out of control. Focus on your own strengths and failures as a leader.
- The secret to a good day is some combination of well planned lessons, confidence, and coffee. So much coffee.
- Stealing math worksheets from the internet is the best thing ever.
- I am so tired.
There is so much more to say and reflect on, but this is all that I can get out right now. Thank you everyone for your continued support. The comments, emails, phone calls, and texts from the OR are what keep me going through the day. I love you all.