How to Use This Crisis to Start Earning Money Online
Nobody knows when this pandemic will be over. It could be weeks, months, or years before life returns to what we called normal only a short while ago. But even though the physical world has come to a grinding halt, the digital world flourishes:
- Game developers have unprecedented amounts of online players and sales
- Online shops have seen increases in sales as people turn to e-commerce
- People spend more time on websites and social media — Whatsapp has seen a 40% increase in usage
The digital world does not suffer from pandemics and other disasters as much as the physical world. It is a fact that may sound obvious, but the implications are overseen by many. Let’s explore how you can benefit from this fact!
Online skills can get you far
I fully realize these are tough times for a lot of people. But let’s look at the opportunities. Let’s look at the people that will flourish. You can be one of them!
If you possess one or more of the following skills, or you’re able and willing to master them, you might be in luck more than you realize:
- You are a software engineer
- You are a digital artist
- You are a writer
- You are a digital marketer
- You have anything, and I mean ANYTHING, that you can sell online
- You possess a skill that you can teach others, remotely
This list is by no means complete, but I’m sure you get the idea by now:
The opportunities to earn money online have increased due to the pandemic. New markets opened up, and existing ones have expanded
More people are spending time and money online. If you’re willing to find the opportunities and weaponize yourself with the knowledge and skills to take advantage of them, you will flourish during or after these tough times.
But I have so much other stuff to do
Understandably, some have to work from home. You might have kids or relatives to take care of. You have your daily chores. But most people still have more time on their hands than they had in a long time.
So what is it you do with this extra time? Think of how you’ll look back at these times in 10 years. Will you remember playing games until your fingers bled? Or watching so much TV that there was nothing else to watch for you? Using social media more than you ever did before?
Instead, try to imagine you’ll remember these times as exiting. As a period in which you took a gamble, learned something new, and who knows, made a little extra money on the side or even switched careers!
So you’ve decided to try something new and take a chance — great! Here are just a couple of ideas to offer you inspiration and get you started:
- Start writing on sites like Medium or Vocal, where you can immediately start earning money.
- Start a small web store and start selling stuff online.
- Start teaching others. You could create a course, offer one-on-one tutoring, offer to coach others, start a podcast, or open up a YouTube channel.
- If you are in computer science, there are so many opportunities to work remotely for others. But you could also start your own site, finally build that indie game, create a useful app, start writing tutorials, or open up a YouTube channel.
- If you are a digital artist, you can look for work on freelance sites. It might not pay much, but you can start building a name for yourself. If you always aspired to be a digital artist, now’s the time to start learning and practicing
- You can join a stock photography site and start submitting your pictures. You don’t need to be an award-winning photographer to earn money on stock photo sites. It does require time and experience to know what sells, so the earlier you start, the better.
- If you just want to learn, there is so much opportunity as well. Most courses are free or very cheap. You can start learning within 10 minutes from now on sites like edX, Coursera, and Udemy.
You’ll benefit either way
I can almost hear you say it:
The chances of this turning into actual profits are so slim!
You might be right, but you might be wrong as well. You won’t know until you tried. If your endeavors don’t turn into anything right now, at least you learned something new.
Also, it’s my experience that new knowledge and skills will eventually be put to good use. If it’s not today, it will be in a year from now. Opportunities tend to present themselves over time. If you build the knowledge and skills to take advantage of them now, it will be easier to spot them later on.
Plant that seed today!
These are tough times; there’s no denying that. But there are numerous opportunities, especially online, to make the best of it. Now is the moment to plant that seed and start something new and exciting!