Fashion Meets Startup: Panel + Trunk Show
Lessons learned from Soraya Darabi, Andrew Parietti, Zack Schwab, and Christina Lila Wilson
Venturing Hoyas just wrapped up a huge event this week — our first fashion focused event: Fashion Meets Startup: Panel + Trunk Show. We packed the house at WeWork SoHo West for an allstar panel moderated by Carly Heitlinger (C’12. Fashion Blogger, The College Prepster) and including:
- Soraya Darabi (C’05. co-Founder of Zady and co-Founder Foodspotting — sold to OpenTable)
- Andrew Parietti (President and COO of Outdoor Voices, J. Crew Activewear partner)
- Zack Schwab (C’11. co-Founder of Givons Apparel)
- Christina Lila Wilson (C’13. Founder of Modefy and Program Coordinator at New York Fashion Tech Lab)
Here are a few select moments including some of our panelists’ gems of wisdom:
*internship, not intermeshing!
Our panelists even had some great reading recommendations:
- Zag (Marty Neumeier)
- The Hard Thing about Hard Things (Ben Horowitz)
- Chief Culture Officer (Grant McCracken)
- Idea Factory: Bell Labs (Jon Gertner)
- The Business of Fashion
- PSFK retail blog
- Contagious magazine website
- Unlabel (Marc Ecko)
- Second Business of Fashion, Disruption Newsletter
- Third Wave Fashion
- I’m loving Fashion: a philosophy by Lars Svendon
We then followed up that fantastic panel with a trunk show full of technology and the latest lines from our exhibitioners brands. All of the brands or house of brands companies utilize technology in their customer facing platforms, but we had a few tech-focused.
Tech Company Highlights
Unfiltered — allows clothes to be shown on real people during online shopping. These guys did such a good job at an NYC Fashion Hackaton, that they are being sent to Europe to complete in the next round. Best of luck, Tek and team!
Showroom Manager — cloud-based tool that allows companies to manage all of their products and images, and to easily create line-sheets on the fly for buyers and customers. Salesmen can also create custom slideshows and presentations for use on the road. The app is completely device-independent, and works on any desktop, tablet, or mobile. Line sheets can be generated as PDF files or as a ZIP file of JPEGs.
Findmine.us - a virtual personal shopper that creates on-demand looks around any item you find online. Buy a whole outfit (or room) from multiple retailers and only check out once. We don’t require you to shop yet another website. We just follow you around to different retail sites as you shop (via a bookmarklet or browser add-on), and offer up complete outfits or interior designs around anything you find.
All of the Trunk Show Exhibitioners
Check the album from the night.
As always, for questions or more information on my thoughts on entrepreneurship and venture capital in NYC, reach out via @sthoward.
For more info on the Trunk Show companies:
- chloe + isabel (Merchandiser: Tiffany Yu, B’10) — hand designed jewelry + empowered merchandiser network
- Dear Kate (Marketing and Creative Coordinator — Isabella Giancarlo) — a new kind of underwear and yoga pants with a built-in breathable lining that protects like a pantiliner
- FindMine (Founder & CEO — Michelle Bacharach) — virtual personal shopper that creates custom on-demand looks
- Givons (Zack Schwab, C’11 and Calvin Andrews, B’11) — the perfect button-down shirt + social mission
- Jaunt (Michael Gruner) — beautifully crafted fanny packs
- Knotty Gal (Founder: Nur-E Rahman, SFS’09) — one-of-a-kind knotted, handmade accessories for a cause
- Modavanti (Founder: David Dietz, C’10) — the destination for socially conscious consumers who are looking to find stylish and sustainable fashion that fits our values without compromising on quality or design
- Showroom Manager (Founder: Joe Danziger) — cloud-based tool that allows companies to manage all of their products and images, and to easily create line-sheets on the fly for buyers and customers
- Unfiltered (Founding Member: Tek Kim, B’06) — allows clothes to be shown on real people during online shopping
- Wabi Sabi (Founder: Michelle Helen Cohen)- a brand of eco friendly workwear that fills a gap in the market for sustainable fashion in the corporate world
- Woodies Clothing (Founder: Jacob Wood) — custom made men’s dress and casual button up shirts
- Zoraab (Founder & UX Designer: Tina Israni) — men’s accessories with a unique algorithmic styling platform for coordinated men’s accessories offered via subscription service and online retail