Gutenberg Editor — A WordPress 5.0 Update!
What is Gutenberg?
Gutenberg is the new editor of WordPress, named after Johannes Gutenberg. Gutenberg makes your content visibility and management more powerful than default TinyMCE editor. They are embracing “little blocks” and hope to add more advanced layout options. They are focus on editor, customizer, widgets and other minor improvements of UX. For now Gutenberg is on beta version and it will introduce on WordPress 5.0 version.
The editor will create a new page- and post-building experience that makes writing rich posts effortless, and has “blocks” to make it easy what today might take shortcodes, custom HTML, or “mystery meat” embed discovery.
— Matt Mullenweg
When it will be introduced into WP core?
It will be introduced with WordPress 5.0 version; for now it’s a standalone plugin, which should be merged with the WP core. As per Matt Mullenweg, Estimated time of WP 5.0 is April 2018 but the exact date is not announced yet. The plugin is being actively developed right now by a dozen contributors for now you can install the plugin from wordpress.org.
Gutenberg vs Page builders
There are many of successful page builders are in market like Divi Builder, Visual Composer, Page Builder by SiteOrigin, Themify Builder etc. So, the question is what difference between Gutenberg and other page builders? Gutenberg is defiantly good in comparison of other free page bulders, but the premium page builders like visual builder, divi builder, king composer is more easy and UI/UX for both users and developers end. Here some of benefits to use other page builders:
· True multi-column support.
· An extensive component library.
· 3rd party communities building extensions.
· Advanced styling options.
· Seamless integrations with certain premium themes.
· Theme developers featuring and integrating for those builders.
How Gutenberg works?
Gutenberg is replaced with TinyMCE editor with lots of individual little blocks. These blocks are helps to create complex layout in current WordPress editor. Here is listed all blocks and can customize it in the editor.
“The goal of the block editor is to make adding rich content to WordPress simple and enjoyable.”
– From the Gutenberg plugin description on WordPress.org
Here are some of pros of Gutenberg:
· Easy to Adding, moving & aligning blocks.
· Streamlines the writing process.
· Quick embedding blocks.
· Allows you to build complex layouts with little knowledge.
· Creative interactive templates.
· Solid HTML 5 output.
Here are some of cons of Gutenberg:
· It’s beta version so there is missing markdown support for now.
· Doesn’t support responsive columns yet.
· Involvement of bugs.
· Difficult to use for new users/non-technical users.
Some myth about Gutenberg:
1. Gutenberg will be released soon.
2. Gutenberg is a page builder.
3. Gutenberg is completely replacing TinyMCE.
4. Can’t turn off Gutenberg.
5. No support for meta boxes.
6. No support for custom post types.
7. Shortcodes will not work.
The Gutenberg Editor is the most awaited feature. It has a mixed review with 2.5 stars out of 5, but it still in beta version. The current WordPress editor is extremely flexible and allows many different styles of website, which fits the ethos of WordPress perfectly, but still there are still a lot of concerns and bugs in Gutenberg.
More than 75% of website today is powered by WordPress this shows how WordPress is an ideal selection when it comes to online presence.Create your website with a professional WordPress development company to develop a unique and elegant online presence of your business which will boost your growth.