Creator Economy: Platform Agnostic Social Audio Strategy
Social Audio is undoubtedly the trendy thing in 2021, but it wasn’t till June of 2021 that the wars between platforms have hit the mainstream.
Clubhouse was the first to market, then Twitter Spaces launched, and there have been some new audio apps popping up, but just this week, Facebook Live Audio and Spotify Greenroom took over the headlines.
But it’s easy to compare features and talk about startup app vs. big brand app or startup focused on community vs. big brand focused on audio… But I’ve learned that we must go beyond the shiny objects, the beta features, and even the desire to consider all of the platforms equal competition as a futurist.
In episode 134 of the FOMOFanz podcast, I get away from debating which is better, Clubhouse or Twitter Spaces, or Spotify Greenroom, and move towards what we need to think about when it comes to strategy in a new medium…
- What strategy is needed to be an early adopter that doesn’t get caught up in the noise?
- When is it essential to test and tweak vs. go all-in with a strategy?
- Creator coins disrupting how we look at monetizing these platforms like ADHDcoin.com.
- Is this an audio platform competition, a new social network battle, or redefining the entire medium?
- Also, focus on the difference between a startup launch of a new app vs. a big brand launch which is very deja vu of Google+.
- Most importantly, I talk about strategy and how to create a measurable plan and lead to a clear definition of success.
What are the key steps when creating social audio or early adopter strategy:
- Define and visualize success
- Map out goals with data that is measurable
- Identify target audience and user behaviors (Mobile vs desktop)
- Outline programming and episodic content plan
- Select platform(s) that connect 1–4
- Build swim lanes to have a process for the unknown while preparing for scale
We also discussed the mistakes we should have learned from the live streaming wars between apps such as Meerkat, Periscope, and Facebook Live to not only grow as a community but drive innovation between the platforms.
I was also excited to share the news around the launch of the MISFIT MAFIA Discord and the creator economy and the impact this all has with creator coins, and how I’m looking at brand partnerships…. This is going beyond social audio but no doubt social audio is redefining how we as creators build our 1000 true fans.