I like the principles behind Brave browser, but I don’t think users will ever truly “earn by surfing”
Brave is a free web browser focused on keeping your web surfing private by automatically blocking advertisements and trackers. It in turn provides users the option of watching ads, paying for their attention in the form of a cryptocurrency, the Basic Attention Token (BAT). Users can contribute the collected BATs to websites and content creators, or download them to their wallet. Now here are the problems:
- For users, Brave supports only two wallets where to receive the collected BATs; these wallets have quite a bad reputation if you search online, being of low standards and suffering from several flaws.
- Each separate Brave browser in your different devices, and even each new Brave install on the same device, collects BATs from zero, making it very hard to achieve the amounts needed for withdrawal.
- As a content creator, I’ve also found it impossible to actually retrieve BATs.
- The price of the BAT is ridiculously low. Even online paid surveys, ad-viewing and other small side hustles pay better. And it’s strongly correlated to Bitcoin (see plot), which suggests that it hasn’t much intrinsic value.
- Last, Brave just added its own wallet, but, unbelievably, it cannot directly save the BATs you collect on Brave itself!!!
Clearly, the people developing Brave just don’t want you to really gain anything from surfing the web. Probably that’s why the BAT price is not only low but also strongly tied to the speculations on other cryptocurrencies.
I am a nature, science, technology, programming, and DIY enthusiast. Biotechnologist and chemist, in the wet lab and with computers. I write about everything that lies within my broad sphere of interests -the @lucianosphere. Check out my lists for more stories. Become a Medium member to access all its stories and subscribe to get my new stories by email (original affiliate links of the platform for which I get small revenues without special costs to you).
Liked this article and want to tip me? [Paypal] -Thanks!
For inquiries of all types, contact me here. For small jobs (on programming, data analysis, cryptocurrencies, biotech + bioinf project evaluations, science outreach + communication, molecular data analysis and design, molecular graphics, photography, moleculARweb tutorials, science teaching and tutoring, etc.) check my services page here.