What is an open source software ? benefits and advantages of an open source software
There are a lot of software available in the Internet. Among, then many of the people would come across the term “open source software” and you might be wondering what are these types of softwares? In this blog post you will get an clear idea about open source software its benefits, advantages.
Definition of open source software:
Open source software is like normal computer softwares or proprietary ones. But it is license and copyrighted by the developers of the software to change, distribute, inspect, study the software completely. The developers will made the source code to be available for public. Most of the normal PC won’t see and inspect the source code. But a programmer can read its source code and can improve the program by adding a lot of features. For example plugins are used in many open source software. They can fix bugs and security issues to improve that software.
Is open source software always free?
No, the developers of the software can make software to be paid. But in most of the cases, the source code is completely public and the developers might not charge you.
Differences between open source software and proprietary software?
There are lot of differences between them. Firstly, proprietary software are also known as closed source software. Because their source code is completely private and the official developers only change or inspect the source code. In order to use the proprietary software the user of the computer must agree the license and terms & conditions of the software owner. Only the official developers can make a change in the software and they can only fix bugs or other security issues. This makes the proprietary software to less secure than the other open source software
Advantages of open source software
- The source of the software is public. So the programmers can find a bug or security issues in that software and can solve it.
- It will be easy for the students to learn the code and develop their own software.
Disadvantages of open source software
- Some of the open source software are difficult to use. They are not user-friendly. It will take long time to adopt to the program
- There will be a lot of compatibility issues in these open source software they need some proprietary drivers and specified hardware
- The main issue in open source software is that it doesn’t have any extensive customer support. Because it may be developed by a lakh of people and none is responsible for any damage to the computer’s hardware or if it functions abnormally.