Soundscan Surprises, Week Ending 9/15
Back-catalog sales numbers of note from Nielsen SoundScan.
The definition of “back catalog” is: “at least 18 months old, have fallen below №100 on the Billboard 200 and do not have an active single on our radio.”
Matchbox Twenty’s Yourself or Someone Like You jumped EIGHTY-NINE spots in the last week TO NUMBER ONE. There isn’t a whole lot of news there except that the album is twenty years old, his wife is having health issues, Rob Thomas played at Red Rocks on Monday, and he apparently wants a twentieth anniversary reunion tour (who doesn’t, buddy?).
Speaking of anniversaries, the Ramones’ 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition was just released; of its 1,492 copies sold to date, 1,468 were sold last week. Faith No More is back on the list and I had to Google again (sorry). There’s some sort of deluxe re-release going on and a teaser for a new video for a sort-of-new song? More importantly, had you ever heard of St. Paul and the Broken Bones? They just released a new album, so their old one is selling a few copies. Here’s a cool Tiny Desk Concert they did in 2014:
Finally, Halloween is around the corner, and apparently also the name of the artist listed on the collection, Monster Mash & Other [Terrifying] Tunes. Watch your back, Halloween; Joey + Rory’s A Farmhouse Christmas is coming down the pike.
1. MATCHBOX TWENTY YOURSELF OR SOMEONE LIKE YOU 5,215 copies
9. WIZ KHALIFA ROLLING PAPERS 2,669 copies
53. RAMONES 40TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION 1,468 copies
55. FAITH NO MORE KING FOR A DAY/FOOL FOR LIFE 1,447 copies
98. FAITH NO MORE ALBUM OF THE YEAR 1,150 copies
160. ST. PAUL & THE BROKEN BONES HALF THE CITY 923 copies
168. HALLOWEEN MONSTER MASH & OTHER TUNES 907 copies
188. JOEY + RORY A FARMHOUSE CHRISTMAS 881 copies