The Backbone — Episode 1: Managing Churn & Being Private Equity Backed
Daniel Israelsohn, VP Finance & Operations at Firmex
Welcome to the first episode of The Backbone: a journey inside finance at a startup.
For more background on the launch of this podcast, check out Introducing The Backbone!
Daniel is responsible for overseeing all support functions including information systems, and analytics through to finance and accounting. Prior to joining Firmex Daniel spent 8 years at PwC in both Canada and the US as both an auditor and consultant. Daniel is a graduate of the Ivey business school at Western University and is a Chartered accountant.
On this episode of The Backbone, I chat with Daniel about:
- His journey to Firmex, after spending 8 years at PwC
- What Firmex does
- How a company like Firmex thinks about the concept of churn, being in a deals-based business
- What it’s like to now be private-equity backed and what it means for the finance team at Firmex
- The importance of the finance function at an early stage technology company
We close things off with a quickfire round:
- Go to online resource for all things startup finance related
- Favourite productivity hack
- One thing you don’t leave the office before finishing
Take a listen:
Be sure to check out The Backbone on the web:
- shares their story of how they entered the world of startups,
- explains what their company does
- describes unique challenges he/she faces in their role
- shares expertise relating to specific topics on the mind of finance leaders