The Backbone — Episode 3: Why Finance & Operations go Together & Dealing with the Highly Regulated Financial Services Industry
For more background on the launch of this podcast, check out Introducing The Backbone!
Having recently expanded into the United States, I had the chance to chat with Leen Li, Head of Finance at Wealthsimple.
As the Head of Finance at Wealthsimple, Leen’s mission is to help build a scalable and profitable business through strong financial management. Prior to Wealthsimple, Leen led finance and operations at Influitive for five years. Before that, she held a variety of finance roles in financial services and software companies including HSBC and Eloqua. Leen is passionate about startups, SaaS and building efficient processes. Leen is a CMA and holds an MBA specializing in Finance from Saint Mary’s University.
On this episode of The Backbone, I chat with Leen about:
- Her journey into tech, after stints starting with Eloqua, Influitive and now leading finance at Wealthsimple
- What Wealthsimple does
- The challenges she faces operating in the highly regulated financial services industry
- Why Finance and Operations tend to go hand in hand at early and growth stage technology companies
- The importance of the finance function at an early stage technology company
We close things off with a quickfire round:
- Go to online resource for all things startup finance related
- Favourite productivity hack
- One thing you don’t leave the office before finishing
Take a listen:
Be sure to check out The Backbone on the web:
Check out previous episodes of The Backbone
Episode 1: Managing Churn & Being Private Equity Backed w/ Daniel Israelsohn, VP Finance & Operations at Firmex
Episode 2: How Finance Scales Growing from 25 to 200+ Employees & Transfer Pricing w/ Les Cullen, Director Finance & Operations at TopHat
- shares their story of how they entered the world of startups,
- explains what their company does
- describes unique challenges he/she faces in their role
- shares expertise relating to specific topics on the mind of finance leaders