The Backbone — Episode 4: Transitioning from Professional Services to Finance Leader of Pre-Revenue Tech Startup
Welcome back to The Backbone: a journey inside finance at a startup. After a week hiatus, spending time in Iceland we’re back (you can check out pictures here, if you must)! This week, I’m joined by Chris Parkes, CFO at NuraLogix.
For more background on the launch of this podcast, check out Introducing The Backbone!
NuraLogix has developed patent pending technology for detecting hidden emotions. I had the chance to chat with Chris Parkes, CFO at NuraLogix on.
Chris is the CFO at NuraLogix and joined the company in April 2016. As a former Manager in PwC’s Emerging Company Services group, Chris provided mainly assurance and advisory services to a portfolio of early-stage technology companies. Chris is a Chartered Professional Accountant (Chartered Accountant) and holds Honours Bachelor of Accounting and Financial Management and Master of Accounting degrees from the University of Waterloo.
On this episode of The Backbone, I chat with Chris about:
- His journey into tech and becoming CFO at NuraLogix from his role at PwC’s Emerging Company Services group
- What NuraLogix does
- Why a pre-revenue company requires a finance leader
- The importance of the finance function at an early stage technology company
- The transition process Chris went through going from a professional services firm to being the finance leader of a tech startup
We close things off with a quickfire round:
- Go to online resource for all things startup finance related
- Favourite productivity hack
- One thing you don’t leave the office before finishing
Here’s the Dr. Kang Lee’s TED talk that Chris mentioned during the episode!
Take a listen:
Be sure to check out The Backbone on the web:
Check out previous episodes of The Backbone
Episode 1: Managing Churn & Being Private Equity Backed w/ Daniel Israelsohn, VP Finance & Operations at Firmex
Episode 2: How Finance Scales Growing from 25 to 200+ Employees & Transfer Pricing w/ Les Cullen, Director Finance & Operations at TopHat
Episode 3: Why Finance & Operations go Together & Dealing with the Highly Regulated Financial Services Industry w/ Leen Li, Head of Finance at Wealthsimple
- shares their story of how they entered the world of startups,
- explains what their company does
- describes unique challenges he/she faces in their role
- shares expertise relating to specific topics on the mind of finance leaders