The aim of the BlackGate project is to move hosting of semi-static pages — like blogs, company, private and news pages — from hosting providers to end-user devices. The designed and implemented blockchain and protocol results in a secure, more robust and censorship-resistant distributed hosting environment. The distributed hosting algorithm and protocol takes care of the optimal locations for each page. It empowers a new type of hosting ecosystem with the potential to create new business models and services, such as interoperable page generation and management tools.
The project follows the following principles:
- Future-Proof: The blockchain and protocol specification should be designed in such a way that it can be upgraded in the future and that all decisions allow enough flexibility for adaptation.
- Scalable: A global, distributed hosting engine should scale on internet scale and beyond. This is mainly achieved by using one blockchain for each page and each node has only a subset of all blockchains. Additional a block is only generated by the content creator.
- Self-Managing and Self-Optimizing: The overlay networks that are responsible for the blockchain management have to be self-managed. That means that the network determines the optimal distribution of page content and related content for each page.
- Resistant against malicious nodes: The Distributed Hosting Engine must be resistant against malicious nodes that propagate wrong blockchain and/or wrong content.
- Robustness: The distributed hosting environment is robust against network unavailability, through offline hosting of a subset of pages. It is also robust against joining and leaving nodes.
In the scope of this project the team experiments with different solutions to blockchain engineering challenges. That gathered knowledge and expertise is then used for future blockchain projects. The transparent and open development of this project and all related specification allows everybody to participate and join the core team.
Checkout the official project page under: http://blackgate.networld.to