Women’s Sexual Pleasure Takes Center Stage at STHLM’s Tech Fest

The Case for Her
Sep 15, 2019 · 3 min read
The winning team of STHLM Tech Fest’s Hackathon celebrating on stage at Stockholm’s City Hall last week.

Applause is common in Stockholm’s City Hall, where Nobel Prize recipients are celebrated every year. Last Sunday, the Hall echoed with a new kind of applause — this time for women’s sexual pleasure.

The crowd was cheering for LUCY, the women’s sexual wellness and pleasure app that won the Best of Hackathon Award over ten other pitches at the Stockholm Tech Fest last week. Among the 11 other organizations presenting female-centric challenges, The Case for Her invited participants in the Hackathon — the second largest in the world to focus on women’s issues — to develop a product idea tackling social stigmas around female sexual pleasure. Ideated in the preceding 48 hours by a team of women ranging from ages 17 to 55, LUCY offers female users knowledge about their bodies and sexual health throughout their lifetimes — from navigating their first sexual experience to their post-menopause libido.

The LUCY app offers female users knowledge about their bodies and sexual health throughout their lifetimes.

The Hackathon win was significant not only for the LUCY team, but also for the tech sector at large, where female sexual pleasure has historically been excluded due to stigma labeling it profane or even immoral.

Pleasure is a key component of sexual health, yet male sexual pleasure is often prioritized over that of women’s. Where 95 percent of men enjoy orgasms in heterosexual relationships, only 60 percent of women do. A study of over 7,000 students at 22 different colleges showed that eight out of ten women prioritized their partners’ pleasure over their own, with nine out of ten women engaging in unwanted sexual acts to please their partner. Where public advertisements for Viagra, Hims or Manscaped are approved from social media to subway platforms, appeals for women’s sex toys ads are rejected.

This is not just an issue of sexual health, but one of inequality: increased sexual pleasure and wellness can lead to improved quality of life, higher self-esteem and better economic outcomes.

There are significant opportunities within the tech sector to help solve this problem. Yet despite femtech’s potential to become a $50 billion market in the next six years, the male-dominated tech world excludes female sexual pleasure innovations. Earlier this year, for instance, the Consumer Electronics Showcase banned a micro-robotic women’s vibrator, despite its previous acceptance of men’s virtual reality porn and robot sex dolls.

Part of the problem is that women, the leading creators of femtech innovations, are largely excluded from tech. Last year, 2 percent of all venture capital went to companies with only female founders, with the remaining 98 percent going to companies with male founders. The STHLM Hackathon was organized in an effort to change this statistic, bringing together over 800 people to work on ten challenges uniquely affecting women, from inspiring girls to code to women’s personal finance.

LUCY’s win not only advanced this mission, but it also placed women’s sextech center stage, introducing “vagina” and “orgasm” to the mainstream tech conversation in Stockholm, breaking down shame and stigma in the process.

The Case For Her is a philanthropic investment portfolio, investing in key women’s health issues and getting them on the global health agenda. We work actively to reach women with education, products and services that improve their lives and contribute to an equal society. Today, The Case For Her has two investment portfolios — one for menstruation and one for women’s pleasure, sexual health and wellness. www.thecaseforher.com

The Case for Her Sexual Pleasure

The Case for Her on the importance of investing in female…

The Case for Her

Written by

The Case for Her is a philanthropic investment portfolio addressing the key women’s health issues of menstruation and female sexual health.

The Case for Her Sexual Pleasure

The Case for Her on the importance of investing in female sexual pleasure.

More From Medium

More from The Case for Her Sexual Pleasure

Also tagged Health

Welcome to a place where words matter. On Medium, smart voices and original ideas take center stage - with no ads in sight. Watch
Follow all the topics you care about, and we’ll deliver the best stories for you to your homepage and inbox. Explore
Get unlimited access to the best stories on Medium — and support writers while you’re at it. Just $5/month. Upgrade