After nearly a year at Fort Benning, I returned to my unit, the 181st Infantry Regiment of the Massachusetts National Guard.
The first drill upon returning from OSUT is usually with the Recruit Sustainment Program (RSP), not one’s unit. It is a debrief, of sorts. There, I was awarded a challenge coin from a retired Sergeant Major for completing Ranger school, and an Army Certificate of Achievement for a 300 APFT during OSUT. My next drill was with my unit.
The first serious time spent with my unit was during the summer annual training (AT). The same group of instructors who facilitate Ranger Training Assessment Course (RTAC) at Fort Benning traveled to Joint Base Cape Cod (JBCC) to lead Light Leader’s course, a less intensive version of RTAC. Though in a Rifleman position within my squad, I was made RTO because of my experience from Ranger School. I was awarded an Army Achievement Medal for my performance as RTO and assisting the PL and PSG in the planning bay.
Later in the year, I was nominated to compete in the Best Warrior competition at the Company level. Before the competition, however, I joined a different unit.
While at Fort Benning in 2019, I met multiple soldiers serving in the Security Force Assistance Brigade (SFAB). Toward the end of 2020, I interviewed with 54th SFAB out of Fort Benning. My civilian experience in software engineering, international travel, and foreign language experience was enough for the team to assign me to an intel advisor position with the expectation that I would reclass to a military intelligence MOS―in addition to completing SFAB selection and the Combat Advisor Training Course (CATC).
- Position: Infantryman (Rifleman) → Infantryman (RTO) → Intelligence Advisor
- Unit: 54th Security Force Assistance Brigade (SFAB)
- Rank: Specialist
- Grade: E4
- Primary MOS: 11B10V
- Secondary MOS: none
- Years of service: 2
- Deployments: 0
- Service stripes: 0
- Overseas service bars: 0
- Awards: 1x Army Achievement Medal, 1x Army Certificate of Achievement
- Decorations: none
- Service ribbons: Army Service Ribbon, National Defense Service Ribbon
- Medals: Army Achievement Medal
- Combat badges: none
- Skill badges: Parachutist badge
- Marksmanship badges: Sharpshooter (Carbine)
- Identification badges: none
- Tabs: Ranger tab
- APFT: 300
- ACFT: none on record
- AITs complete: 1
- Schools: Basic training, AIT, RTLI, RTAC, Ranger school, Airborne school, Light Leaders course