These Oatmeal Walnut cookies are a light, sweet and salty treat studded with toasted walnuts. The old-fashioned rolled oats give these cookies a soft, chewy texture. This one-bowl recipe can be either mixed by hand or with a hand mixer. It is a quick and easy cookie recipe that requires basic pantry staples. You can add raisins or chocolate chips to this cookie recipe for your added sweetness, flavour and texture.
It’s a perfect recipe to have on hand for breakfast, a snack or dessert. You can prepare these cookies in advance to freeze and thaw when needed. They can be stored in an airtight container on a single layer for up to three months. An irresistible snack or afternoon treat when paired with a glass of milk, a cup of coffee or tea. A classic cookie with oatmeal nutty goodness in every bite!
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 12–15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 14 cookies
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup granulated sugar
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
¼ cup unsalted butter softened
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup chopped toasted walnuts
½ cup raisins or chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Arrange chopped walnuts on a small cookie sheet in a single layer. Bake for 8–10 minutes in the preheated oven. Set it aside to cool.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, butter, vanilla and egg. Stir until smooth and creamy.
- Add flour into thirds. Then add salt — if you are using salted butter, omit the salt. Add oats and mix well until all ingredients are thoroughly blended into a sticky cookie dough.
- Fold in toasted walnuts. Add raisins or chocolate chips — optional.
- Scoop a tablespoon of the cookie dough and release it onto the prepared baking sheet with another tablespoon. Allow sufficient spacing between cookies of 2-inches apart.
- Bake for 12–15 minutes until golden brown around the edges. Let cookies cool onto the baking sheet for 10 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack. Serve warm with coffee, tea or milk.