As you can see below, I carry a lot of different things with me. Being a designer, I carry a lot of design equipment, but I also have some geeky things inside my bag. These aren’t directly related to my job; I just like to carry them!
My main tool of the trade is my Macbook Pro 13” (with a black case). I also have a Fuji Instax that I bring with me when I’m going to new places to take some funny photos. A flash drive, iPhone, Mac cables and adapters, my trusty earphones, and a powerbank complete my digital toolkit.
As a designer, I often use analog tools to visualize my designs. There’s something irreplaceable about pen and paper. You never know when inspiration will strike! I always carry my analog design powerhouse tools with me.
- A Heineken notebook I bought in Amsterdam. I love this notebook, as it reminds me of my trip whenever I pull it out.
- Drawing pens
- A checkered notebook to sketch wireframes in
- A Dancing Queen notepad to pay homage to ABBA, of whom I am a huge fan
- Stabilo pens, which are the best pens to sketch wireframes
- A sketchbook whereI doodle and draw.
- Ballpoint pens and erasers
- A case of colored pencils
These are easy to forget but impossible to do without:
- Snacks (cream crackers and bubble gum, please!)
- R2D2, Leia, Vader, and Yoda keychains
- Tim Burton–themed playing cards (I’m a huge Tim Burton fan as well.)
- Disney’s Tsum-Tsum BB-8 and Stormtrooper
- A watermelon makeup bag, which I also call my “war kit”
- My wallet
- Ray-Ban sunglasses
- A coaster with Photoshop logo
That completes my designer kit for all seasons. Whether I need inspiration, pencils, lipstick, my bag’s got me covered.
I’d advise my fellow digital nomads to pack a powerbank, cables, plug adapters, your notebook of choice, and earphones. If you travel a lot, make sure you have your sunglasses, extra batteries, and a notebook. Always carry some snacks and water, because you don’t know how much time you’ll take between places. And don’t forget your jacket (and your towel—if you're a geek, you'll know what I mean)!
Liked this peek into Viviane’s bag? We have tons more coming up. Follow our blog to see our next featured bag or workspace.