Coding Challenge for Ukraine | 17th — 26th June, 2022
Coding Challenge for Ukraine is a Pan-European online hackathon to develop technological solutions that will enable Ukrainians the access to and provision of everyday services and help the country’s recovery. The event will consist of two parts, ideational workshops and the hackathon proper. Winners will be announced during a hybrid event in Brussels at the end of June.
💡 Pan-European hackathon will mobilize the efforts of experts and professionals to develop technological solutions (PoC or MVP) that will:
- support the resistance against Russian disinformation
- boost the resilience of Ukrainian society by enabling access to and provision of everyday services
- help the country’s recovery
📣 We invite any interested individual, team or company to participate in the competition:
- By developing innovative ideas and applications that address these issues (participants — contestants).
- By proposing issues or challenges that need a solution and by developing an application to tackle them (public submission of proposals — consultation).
- Supporting this effort (sponsors, supporters, public organizations, companies, collective entities).
- Supporting this effort as a mentor at the Hack For Ukraine Hackathon.
Russian aggression against Ukraine does not only target the physical infrastructure leading to the disruption of many private and public services, but it also aims at destabilizing European societies. It has thus created a need for new types of assistance, products or solutions to support refugees, business communities and society at large. Many of them can be efficiently and effectively met with the deployment of digital and financial technologies, which are also pivotal in the recovery of a resilient Ukrainian country. The proposed technological solutions, preferably in the form of PoC or MVP, should aim at refugees, IDPs, war-affected people and Ukrainian SMEs, and be in the following areas:
- Financial and payments services, insurance, including DeFi and Web3
- Logistics, coordination and information services
- Subsistence and access to everyday needs
- Open category
- Professional and educational services, including financial literacy and inclusion.
Corporate, educational, research and public institutions are invited to partner with the organizers by providing financial and technological support, especially in the form of prizes for the winners in each category. In return partners will:
✅ Become sponsors of the proposed challenges, or add a new one
✅ Nominate a judge to the evaluation panel, provided their interest in that role
✅ Be mentioned as partner in all communication and participate in the closing event in Brussels
✅ Can engage with teams in deploying their proposed solutions in the EU and Ukraine
👥 TEAMS AND MENTORS
The hackathon is open to everyone, who can help:
- Teams should have at least three participants with defined roles and will have to be joined by at least one Ukrainian counselor, whose list will be made available at the opening of the hackathon at the latest.
- Interested individuals can join a registered team or will be matched by the organizers based on their interests.
- Mentors, available online for advice, will be leading experts in technology, finance, business, policy and other relevant areas.
The Coding Challenge for Ukraine is organised by the European Digital Finance Association in cooperation with the Ukrainian Association of FinTech and Innovation Companies, with the technical and innovation provision of Crowdpolicy and supported by the European Commission.
For more information visit: