Weekly Trends | August 16th 2016
Social News and Trends
- Gabby Douglas rides emotional Rio Olympics roller coaster after facing social media heat . — via USA TODAY
- Popular lifestyle blogger behind “A Beautiful Mess” named 2016 Style Maker by Better Homes and Gardens Magazine. — Via A Beautiful Mess
- Spotify music data tracks millennials, and as analytic software becomes more advanced, brands could use Spotify to track moods, motivation, and and buying intent. According to Jeff Rossi, Global Director of Business Marketing at Spotify, data collected by music streaming offers 15 times more data points than other media sources, “informing moods, mindsets, and tribes better than any other media sources.” — Via WARC.
- Pepsi just bought the first #promotedsticker campaign on Twitter. — Via AdAge.
- Seven reasons why Instagram stories are already better than Snapchat. — Via Social Media Today.
Home and Style Trends
- Rita Ora’s latest design collaboration with Adidas Originals proves athleisure’s clean minimalism, rich colors, and slick lines have staying power with fashion’s elite. — Via Vogue
- Soft rugs, indoor plants, dark-colored cabinets, and rustic elements are all newly hot decor elements in the ‘cozy kitchen’ trend. — Via Apartment Therapy.
- Matte black paint, textures, and finishes. Still a thing people. Especially in bathrooms. — Via Apartment Therapy.
- Never not in style: exotic get-aways in luxe cabins, desert domes, glammed-out trailers, and grown-up tree forts. — Via MyDomaine.
- Interested in what Anna Wintour’s at-home garden looks like? Yeah, you and the rest of the internet too. TMagazine took us inside the style maker’s lush paradise this Sunday. — Via TMagazine.
News & Culture
- After losing an invasion of privacy lawsuit against former wrestler Hulk Hogan, bets are on with who will buy out Gawker Media. Some likely guesses include Ziff Davis, Univision, New York Magazine, and Vox Media. — Via New York Times.
- Uber and Lyft may soon replace public buses. — Via Bloomberg
- The New York Times just bought an ad agency based on AR (augmented reality) and VR (virtual reality) — Via Marketing Dive
- Why the Olympic Committee and their social media black out really makes no sense, according to experts. — Via Marketing Dive.
- Violence erupted in Milwaukee Saturday night after police shot a suspect armed with a loaded handgun. Social media fanned the flames of unrest, and as large crowds gathered in protest the National Guard was called in to control the violent scene. — Via Buzzfeed News
- Donald Trump’s campaign manager, Paul Manafort, received $12.7 million in secret payments from Ukraine’s pro-Russia political party between 2007 and 2012, according to a new report in the New York Times. — Via the New York Times
- At least seven people have been killed and 20,000 have been evacuated from their homes in southeastern Louisiana and southern Mississippi, after several days of flooding has swamped the area. — Via Weather.com