How To Look Like A Blue Voter In A Red State
Welcome to the latest how-to from Make Your Face, a makeup tutorial series with a simple mission: makeup for your own entertainment, Establishment-style.
This week, our resident makeup master-slash-feminist commentator Jennifer Culp takes on the only thing anyone can really think about right now: the terrifying nightmare land known as election ‘16.
Having grown up in Alabama, Jennifer knows what it’s like to be a blue voter in the deep-red south . . . and she has tips on how to wear armor in the form of symbolic blue makeup (plus a punk tee and a raised middle finger).
Her advice, as always, is well worth heeding:
• It’s easier to line your waterlines with pencil if you avoid crossing your pupil with the liner.
• Wet eyeshadow goes on very opaque without having to use primer, but! Can be difficult to blend with dry shadow.
• You can blend multiple foundations to get your preferred shade and SPF.
• Bleaching your eyebrows is not scary! Never use box dye; get bleach powder and developer from a beauty supply store instead.
• If you get clumps in your mascara, it’s totally fine to lean into it and go full-on spider lashes.
• Blush is The Great Undead-ifier!
• If you used a curated eyeshadow palette to create an eye makeup look, it’s often flattering to steal shades from the same palette to use for blush, contour, and highlights.
• Leave your mouth hanging open in a stupid expression for a long, long, what feels like TOO long time after applying liquid lipstick so it will dry without smudging onto your teeth.
• VOTE! (And not — not ever — for Trump.)
Dear God . . . is the election over yet?
Find more great tutorials here.