It is that time of the year when everyone looks back on their yearly achievements. Medium is saturated with how I did this year posts.
Although these posts will be extensive, they all have their place. As writers by reading how other writers improved their goals can help us.
So here is my number one tip for achieving, as well as I did this year.
Keep your goals where they can be seen and revisit them regularly.
You need read no further, if you want more insight then stick with me.
What goals did I achieve?
Increase my following by 1000.
Smashed this goal. I increased my following by over 3000. How can you achieve these numbers? One word.
Comment on people’s posts across all platforms. Try to build genuine friendships with people.
Publish and eBook
I published two. The advice here is to bite the bullet and do it. The first book took me an age, the second book half of that time. It is a steep learning curve, but a rewarding one.
Look fear in the face and do what scares you.
Post Twice a Week.
Towards the end of the year, I started posting once a day. My biggest tip grab time when you can.
Ten minutes when you can, soon adds up to a post.
Post Daily to Instagram.
Didn’t manage this. As a platform, Instagram is the most difficult to prompt work on. This is the reason it didn’t hold much interest for me. I will keep working at it next year.
I published 4–5 times a week but didn’t manage every day.
Complete my Crime Manuscript
Came nowhere close here. The reason was that when I came to edit it I realised that my writing had improved so much. Instead of editing, I was re-writing.
Use the skills you use on Medium for other writing projects.
Moving into 2020.
As writers, we are too obsessed with numbers to measure our success. This is why the majority of my goals next year are around the enjoyment of writing. I want to measure my writing by how it makes me feel rather than numbers.
- Next year I want to finish my crime manuscript.
- As I enjoy fiction writing I also want to write more fiction. However, this will be away from Medium. I have decided to start an email list dedicated to sharing my fiction.
- All writers will tell you having all your income from one source may be naive. For this reason, next year I am going to utilise my Vocal Media account and publish more on there.
- My last goal comes from my success this year. I aim to increase my following by 4000.
My mother once said to me, that to measure success we should look at longer periods. Don’t judge your success by what happened last week, look at it for a year.
Writers can become obsessed with daily stats, rather than looking at the full picture.
Whether you share your goals with everyone or keep them to yourself, make sure you have a plan for next year.
The five tips for success.
- Keep your goals where you can see them an revisit them monthly.
- Interact to increase followers across all platforms.
- Look fear in the face and do what scares you.
- Grab time to write whenever you can.
- Use the skills you use on Medium for other writing projects.
My bonus tip, enjoy what you do.
Thank you to everyone who has read my posts, commented and followed me. My success is because of you. Now use my tips and strive to succeed in the new decade.