Something’s cooking

Starting to re-write fluXpad as AUv3

Last year I’ve started looking into updating some parts in fluXpad to Swift. The current version is fully written in Obj-C with the audio engine being in C++. Quite some code in there has developed over time while I was trying out various approaches. Also found this:

A rather vintage piece 😱 of Obj-C code which survived from one of my first versions of the app gliss and was a reproduction of a class of the same name I use in SuperCollider. Actually it turns out I will still be using it in the next reincarnation of fluXpad. I just added a few unit tests to the class to make me feel better.

It can be painful to look into old code. Since I didn’t see any way to move this project step by step to Swift, I’ve decided to re-write it — basically from scratch.

All data in fluXpad is stored using CoreData. I don’t know what drove me into this decision. But, OK, I’ve decided to create a wrapper around it using protocols, so I can change it to something else some time in the future . I asked around and my (ex) colleague Felipe told me about CoreStore. It looks decent, so I’ve built the data layer of fluXpad around it. That was in 2019 … set up reading and writing from the old data model using unit tests only. Not so exciting, so I stopped working on it for a while …

--

--

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store