State has healthy rate of kidney transplants

Around 10,000 transplants of various organs has been carried out in the state over the last two decades

According to the transplantation data provided by the public health department, the kidney is the most common organ in the human body which fails, in comparison to others. It is also the one to be donated the most. Since two decades, of the total 9,998 organ transplants carried out in the state, 9,364 (94 per cent) transplants were of kidneys only, which was the highest in the state. The rest 634 (6 per cent) includes the liver, lungs and the heart among other organ as well.


Almost two decades ago the ’Transplantation of Human Organs Act, 1994’ (THO) came into existence in Maharashtra. The data available with TGS from the year 1995, states that kidney is the most commonly donated and accepted organ of the human body. There are two types of donors, one is live and second one is cadaver (deceased). Since humans can stay alive on one kidney and the liver can regenerate itself, the living donors are able to donate these two organs. In the second type, the cadaver donors are those people who have been declared brain-dead and whose organs are kept viable by ventilators or other mechanical mechanisms until they can be harvested for transplantation. In the cadaveric donor category the organs like kidney, liver, lungs, heart and others organs can be donated.


The data shows that in kidney transplants, most of the beneficiaries have opted for live donors over cadaveric organ. From 1995 to June 2016, a total of 9,364 kidney transplants were carried out at the 75 kidney transplant centres in the state. Out of a total number of 9,364 transplants, 8,654 were from live donors and rest 710 from cadavers. Among the live transplants (8,654), as many as 7,265 people donated their kidney to relatives while the rest (1,389 people) donated their kidneys to unrelated recipients. The 710 cadaveric kidney transplant recipients’ details do not mention whether they are related to the donor or not.

The first organ transplant was carried out in the state in 1995, and the figure touched 108, including 107 kidney and 1 liver donations, in that year itself. The graph of kidney transplant has been increasing every year with the yearly average being between 600 and 700. Liver donation stands in second position (550), followed by heart (22), lungs (02) and other organs (60) which include skin, pancreas and bone marrow. The heart transplant started in 2015 and five transplants were carried out in that year, while 15 were carried out in 2016 (till June).

There are a total of 118 organ transplant centres registered with the state health government. For kidney transplants there are 75 centres divided between Mumbai (35), Pune (20), Nagpur (6), Nashik (5), Kolhapur and Aurangabad (4 each) and Amaravati (1). There are a total of 21 centres for liver — Mumbai (18) and Pune (03). Heart transplants centres are seven with Mumbai (6) and Pune (1, sanctioned but permission withheld). Lungs can be transplanted in Mumbai (4) and Pune (1) also. For heart and lungs (combined), the state has four centres, Mumbai (3) and Pune (1). For pancreas, there is one centre each in Pune and Mumbai; one centre for intestine in Mumbai and the city also has facility for pancreas and intestine combined. There is one centre for hand transplant in Mumbai.

Originally published on The Golden Sparrow

Like what you read? Give The Golden Sparrow a round of applause.

From a quick cheer to a standing ovation, clap to show how much you enjoyed this story.