“Workshop: Planning to Notice” Recap
On Tuesday night Justine Bloome, CSO at VaynerMedia and founder of The Mindful, forced us to get comfortable with pausing & paying attention to things we often overlook. She also dished out tools to bring some of that ever elusive mindfulness to our creative craft (yep, strategy is a creative act). People noticed, shared. And connected about the sh*t that keeps us from being most effective in our lives and careers.
In the process, we drank CBD cocktails, shared challenges we’re working through and new ways to approach solving problems back at the office. We learned how to be less consumed with “doing” and more interested in “being” –plus understanding what the f**k that means.
Here’s the gist of what we learned, ways to dive deeper and how to run with it.
- “You don’t have to meditate to bring mindfulness into your work.” Sure, meditation is one mindfulness tool. But, bringing deep intention to your work through three modes — Noticing (consciously listen to and see the world), Curiosity (actively pay attention to what piques your interest) and Reflection (pause to think about what your observations mean) — helps us make better connections and unlock deeper creativity. Try that sh*t out!
- “In a beginner’s mind, there are many possibilities, in an expert’s there are few.” Justine introduced us to the idea of adopting a beginner’s mindset in how you approach problems in your work — try channeling someone who has no idea what that hell you do next time you’re up against a meaty problem (like maybe your mom).
- Human Being > Human Doing. In the pace of work and life, we fall into patterns that automate how we go through our day, rather than being present with our full selves. As Justine explained, “We are beings that are designed to be more than we are to do, but the pace of life pushes us into more Human Doing.”
- Bring the humanity back to strategy. We work in an industry that neglects the humanity of what we do. By protecting your time to notice, get curious and reflect on a daily basis you’re bringing humanity back to our craft. And that is a rebellion we endorse.
- Get up close and personal with other’s messy creative processes by binging Abstract: The Art of Design on Netflix this weekend or listening to Meet the Creatives during your commute.
- Get deep with Justine’s Mindful Strategist 90 day Planner (get it here) and check out her Sweathead episode w/Mark Pollard.
- Recover your sense of curiosity and make space to notice with this OG gem: The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron.
“In times of pain, when the future is too terrifying to contemplate and the past too painful to remember, I have learned to pay attention to right now. The precise moment I was in was always the only safe place for me.”
— Julia Cameron
Run With It
- What are you going to do LESS of this week? Write it down and commit. Tell us about it in Slack.
- Next time you’re “off to the races” on a project, just stop. For one GD second. And actually ground yourself in the task to be done.
- It only takes 5 minutes to bring mindfulness into your day. Maybe you journal during your lunch break or notice the people around you on the subway. Take a moment to be more present in your everyday life.
Join the strtgst Slack community to keep sharing what you’ve learned! And don’t hesitate to reach Justine with any burning questions or epiphanies on all the socials and sites.