I Disagree With Katie About S’mores
They should be made with a Hershey’s bar.
I am rarely one to root for the non-underdog, because I am a non-sellout. For example, I root for [underdog example 1], and I root for [underdog example 2], and I root for [underdog example 3]. However, I have to admit that I disagree with Katie Heaney’s decidedly “underdog” opinion that s’mores should be made with chocolate frosting rather a Hershey’s bar.
They should be made with a Hershey’s bar, like regular.
Katie argued her opinion in a piece on this very website, The Hairpin, yesterday afternoon. She made her case in seven points, and, for the sake of fairness, I will also make my case in seven points.
- A s’more is a perfect treat already. Why mess with perfection? I would love a s’more right now. I didn’t have any lunch and I bet I could eat seven or eight s’mores.
- Frosting is too soft to go with marshmallow. Two different kinds of very soft? You need one non-very-soft in there besides the graham crackers: the Hershey’s bar.
- It’s nice when the Hershey’s is really melty in some places, and not so melty other places. Every bite is a surprise and a new delight. Is it going to be melty or not? You don’t know.
- When the Hershey’s bar smushes out of the graham crackers — well, OK. That’s not so good. But then you just scoop it up and shove it all in your mouth at once, which is so good. Yum. Mouth full of s’more.
- I feel like people don’t like s’mores enough. One time I knew a person who didn’t even like them at all (!). This seems crazy. A s’more is perfect. And if you can roast the marshmallow over a fire? Are you kidding me? That’s the best fucking treat of all time. A nice activity and the best treat you could possibly have? Give me a fucking break! It’s crazy that people don’t talk about how good s’mores are more often.
- Chocolate frosting is good but the flavor simply isn’t saturated enough to combat the flavor of marshmallow. This is just a fact and I’m sorry to report it, as I do respect Katie Heaney as a fellow s’mores enthusiast.
- Yum, yum. S’mores.
What I hope people take from this piece other than the knowledge that what Katie said about chocolate frosting is very insane and that what I said about chocolate bars is very non-insane and so right that it’s nuts, is the idea that s’mores are great and under-appreciated. Please: have a s’more today. Put it in your microwave. First, the chocolate bar on the graham cracker for a few seconds, then, the marshmallow on the graham cracker for a few seconds, and then put them together. Then put it in your mouth.
I love you,