What is The Jump Off?
The Jump Off — named for Lil’ Kim’s 2003 banger — is a home for LGBTQ creators to respond to the good, the bad, and the ugly of pop culture. Are you still waiting for your favorite ship to sail? Did your most loved lesbian just die? Do you have particularly strong thoughts about the “Jolene” episode of “Dolly Parton’s Heartstrings” or the great divider: “Call Me By Your Name”?
What we mean to say is — if your misspent youth was spent in the depths of LiveJournal, Tumblr, or FanFiction.net…this might be the place for you. If you’re interested in writing an article, send us an email with a completed draft.
- Most importantly, please check your work in a word processing program such as Grammarly for errors.
- Ensure you have followed Medium Curation Guidelines for best practices.
- Submit a completed piece (with coherent lead, body, and conclusion) that includes: a headline in Title Case, properly subtitled and credited images (check on Unsplash), and the correct tag(s). The Jump Off uses: LGBTQ, Film, Music, and/or Television.
- Send your Medium draft link to The Jump Off email address, firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line “FIRST SUBMISSION” with a brief introduction and summary of your pitch in the body of the email.
- Turn on your private note setting, so we can communicate if necessary.
Note: The Jump Off cannot pay for submissions at this time, but the Medium Partner Program can offer compensation. As such, we prefer stories to be published behind the paywall but do not require it.
Here are some formatting tips, should you need them:
And there you go! After your first accepted submission, you will be able to submit to The Jump Off via your Medium drafts to be published at the editor’s discretion.