Starbucks quality coffee at home
At 1/5th the cost
As a kid I used to brew kaapi at home:
I am from Kerala. Kaapi has always been an integral part of our daily life. My mom and I used to prepare Kaapi the classical way, using coffee powder mixed with chicory. We used to consume it either as “Kattan Kaapi” (black coffee) or “Paalu Kaapi” (with milk).
Please be patient, like every art it takes times to get consistent results. When in doubt, give us a shout and we’ll be more than happy to help you.
Use our bullet proof method to make a great cup of coffee at home. I experimented with 3 different grind sizes.
Things to Know
- This method makes 2 cups of coffee.
- The tumbler that we have used is a small one for 2 cups.
- For instructions on how to assemble and use the tumbler click here.
- Buy less but buy fresh coffee. It will increase the taste a hundred fold.
- 25–29g: Coffee Powder/beans or 4 table spoons*
- 150ml : Hot Water ( 3/4th of a normal tea cup)*
- 120ml : Milk ( 1/2 of the normal tea cup)*
* In case you can not measure and weigh.
- Assemble the coffee tumbler (instructions).
- Boil the water and keep it aside for a few seconds till the bubbles are settled.
- Put the coffee ground in the tumbler.
- Use the spreader/tamper to evenly distribute the coffee in the tumbler.
- Add water to the coffee and let it extract. The whole process will take at least 10–15 minutes.
- The coffee concentrate, which is collected in the bottom tumbler is ready to be served.
- Add milk and sugar according to taste and enjoy the drink.
- 50ml of coffee combined with 120ml of milk, will give a balanced and tasty cup of coffee.
- If the drink is pipping hot, let it sit for a minute and cool down a bit. Don’t kill your taste buds by shoving pipping hot coffee into your mouth :D
- Avoid buying coffee mixed with Chicory. Chicory is a good alternative during needy times, but right now there is no dearth of coffee.
- The metal plunger/tamper can be left in the tumbler while brewing the coffee. We use it only to evenly set the coffee, after that we take it out, as it eats up some volume.
Where do I get the brewing set available?
It’s easily available in grocery and utensil stores. You can also order it online.
1. DIY Kaapi Kit: Online ( Delivered within a week)
We picked up a kaapi filter and the coffee powder (roasted by one of the oldest artesian roasters in Delhi) we use.