Charity on Chain Update: Just shy of $48m total donations
We’re happy to bring you an update on one of our favorite series. To see the 2021 charity summary, check out this article we posted a few months ago. By the end of 2021 Art Blocks facilitated nearly $45m in charitable donations on our platform.
Since our last update, Art Blocks has facilitated nearly $3m raised for charity bringing the total to nearly $48m! And that does not include some recent projects still figuring out the logistics of their donation. But we’ll save those numbers for the next update.
Before I get into the breakdowns, here is a MAJOR DISCLAIMER:
Due to the nature of Ethereum value fluctuations and different tax laws, the numbers in this article are most likely not accurate. Some charities have a crypto wallet, making it easy to send their donations via Art Blocks’ smart contract. Other charities have red tape to work through before accepting large donations. Also, tax obligations are all over the map and vary greatly. This article is meant to give the community a general idea of donation totals, not exact numbers.
To arrive at these totals, I either 1) asked the artists for the total donated, 2) asked the artist for the ETH (or stable coin) set aside for the charity, or 3) calculated the totals based on the amount pledged and the price of Ethereum on the day the project sold out.
Last, some charities are not equipped to accept crypto donations, or they won’t accept large donations from unknown donors, so the charities are subject to change at the artists’ discretion. However, the pledged amount will not change.
[Amount | Charity | Project | Artist(s)]
- $6,544.70 for The Processing Foundation via Through the Window by Reva.
- $7,490.11 for The Processing Foundation via Chroma Theory by Paweł Dudko.
- $9,986.73 for various local charities via Ouroboros by Shane Rich aka raregonzo.
- $10,362.78 for Multiple Sclerosis International Federation via Cosmodesias by Santiago.
- $10,500 for various local charities via Bloom by Blockchance.
- $12,000 for Charity:Water via Loom by Anna Lucia.
- $46,596.39 for Code/Art via Saturazione by Stefano Contiero.
- $51,035.67 for SCWST, Wapikoni Mobile, Nikamowin, and Pathways to Education via Maps for grief by Louis-André Labadie.
- $69,938 for Women Who Code via Getijde by Bart Simons.
- $159,248.68 for Carbon Fund via entretiempos by Marcelo Soria-Rodríguez.
- $862,500 for Den Blå Planet (National Aquarium Denmark) via Screens by Thomas Lin Pedersen.
- $1,150,837.85 to support local indigenous communities by an anonymous artist.
- $1,561,325.98 for various cancer research efforts, including MMRF and others via Chimera by mpkoz.