When it comes to specific use-cases where blockchain could add tremendous value, social media immediately comes to mind. Reddit is leading the way forward for established social media platforms looking to decentralize, having recently announced the Great Reddit Scaling Bake-Off to scale their existing community points program on Ethereum. In successfully doing so, Reddit could become the first company with hundreds of millions of users to successfully migrate to blockchain.
The DAPP Network is the ideal candidate to help Reddit achieve the necessary scale. Its first foray into interoperability was last year, when LiquidLink demonstrated a connection between EOSIO and Ethereum. Since then, the DAPP Network and its cross-chain capabilities have been utilized to connect all the EOSIO chains into a powerful, interoperable base-layer. Now, thanks to LiquidLink’s latest upgrade the DAPP Network and its community have come full circle and are finally ready to take on the challenge of helping Reddit onboard their 430 million users onto blockchain.
We invite individuals and teams to demonstrate how the DAPP Network can serve as an advanced scaling middleware for Ethereum by harnessing LiquidLink and other DAPP Network services to scale Reddit as part of its Great Reddit Scaling Bake-Off.
Meet the minimum requirements and specifications, and submit your demo for an evaluation as described below. Qualified participants will have the opportunity to win up to 1,000,000 DAPP tokens!
This Just in: The Reddit Bounty is Now Double or Nothing Thanks to EOS Nation. We are excited to announce that EOS Nation is adding an additional 1 Million DAPP tokens as a bounty for the winning submission!
After bringing several successful initiatives to fruition, such as the DAPP Network Hackathon, the DSP Portal Challenge, and various other grants and bounties, the community now has an exciting new opportunity to showcase its innate scaling potential. Armed with LiquidLink, which we upgraded specifically for the scaling bake-off, and the rest of the DAPP Network’s service suite, the community can finally venture forth and conquer the largest DAPP Network bounty yet. Our team will be on hand to provide technical support and assistance to any individual or team that rises to the occasion.
It has been 2 years since the launch of EOSIO, and in that time the technology has evolved across multiple chains that can now interoperate and scale horizontally with the help of the DAPP Network. Now, our friends on Ethereum need our help. By setting tribalism aside and joining forces across countries, ecosystems, and base-layers, not only can this golden opportunity showcase the scaling capabilities of EOSIO and the DAPP Network, but it could even accelerate the mass-adoption of blockchain as a whole.
We, therefore, call upon the leading players in the EOSIO ecosystem to add prizes on top of our 1,000,000 DAPPs grant. And if you want to play your part in this wonderful scaling opportunity, you can do so by spreading the word, creating cool content, and even just cheering on your favorite developers.
Despite getting the ball rolling on Ethereum scalability, Reddit isn’t the only one that can benefit from the DAPP Network’s unique cross-chain middleware. Any Ethereum project that wishes to scale without leaving its native ecosystem, could utilize such a mechanism to go where no dApp has gone before — mass usage.
Guidelines for Designing your Demo
The demos developed and submitted must meet these Minimum Requirements in order to be accepted and considered:
- Meeting with the Great Reddit Scaling Bake-Off Submission Guidelines: The demo must be submitted by July 31, 2020 on the Reddit thread in accordance with the Great Reddit Scaling Bake-Off submission guidelines. These can be found here (including, but not limited to, the “Demos should include” section).
- Meeting with the Great Reddit Scaling Bake-Off Requirements. These can be found here (including, but not limited to, the “Requirements” section).
- Using LiquidLink: The submitted demo must explicitly use the DAPP Network’s LiquidLink service.
- Deployment: The submitted demo must be connected to a dappservices smart contract, and use an EOSIO chain as a provisioning layer. Teams are allowed to choose whether to run their own DSP/s node on a local EOSIO chain using a local dappservices smart contract, or use public EOSIO chain that already has a deployed dappservices smart contract (EOS mainnet, Kylin testnet, WAX, etc.) Please note: In case a team chooses to use its own local EOSIO chain and running its own DSP/s, it is the team’s sole responsibility to make sure their chain and DSP/s will function properly while their submitted demo might be tested and evaluated.
- Participants are allowed to use the DAPP Kylin Testnet Faucet (https://kylin-dapp-faucet.liquidapps.io) to acquire DAPP tokens on Kylin.
- Participants are allowed to use the Kylin Testnet Faucet to create new accounts (http://faucet.cryptokylin.io/create/new_account_name) and/or to acquire EOS tokens, that could be used to gain access to resources such as RAM, CPU, and Net (http://faucet.cryptokylin.io/get_token/your_account_name).
Submission and Evaluation
- Link: A link to the submitted demo (essentially, this should be a link to a comment on the Reddit thread in which the demo was included).
- Accounts: A list of accounts the demo’s smart contracts are using for their ongoing operations.
- Providers: A list of DAPP Service Providers (DSPs) and their service packages the demo is using.
- Approval: An official document, written and signed by the owner of the smart contract’s authorized signatory, approving the submission.
Teams are allowed, but not obligated, to submit additional materials which they think could contribute to their submission (e.g. snapshots, presentation, instructions, etc.). Any such additional materials must be included in the notification email as well.
A panel that will include LiquidApps team members, among others, will evaluate each of the submitted projects to determine whether it met the Minimum Requirements as described above. The submissions will be independently evaluated under the evaluators’ exclusive and complete discretion according to the order of submission, starting with the earliest submission. The first submission to meet the Minimum Requirements will be declared the winner and shall be entitled to a 750,000 DAPP tokens prize.
In case Reddit decides to implement the winning demo and use it to scale its Community Points mechanism, the submitting team shall be entitled to a 250,000 DAPP tokens bonus.
Rules and Disclaimers
- When entering the bounty, you must consider it is possible that you may receive a lower reward than you’ve expected or no reward at all.
- Participation in the bounty is on your own behalf and benefit, using your own assets, knowledge, tools, equipment, and personnel.
- LiquidApps does not offer, and will not provide the bounty’s participants any information, knowledge, support, advice or explanation of any kind, other than what has explicitly provided herein and/or will be provided in Slack #tech-support channel. When participating in the bounty, bounty participants rely on their own knowledge, know-how, experience and understanding, including but not limited to, blockchain technology, DAPP Network, software and relevant code. LIQUIDAPPS DOES NOT PROVIDE ANY WARRANTY WHATSOEVER WITH RESPECT TO THE DAPP NETWORK, THE DAPP TOKEN, DSPs, AND THEIR RELATED TECHNOLOGIES, and it is the participants own responsibility to examine the relevant code and material available at (and subject to the ascribed terms and conditions): https://github.com/liquidapps-io
- LiquidApps reserves the right, under its exclusive and independent discretion, to: (1) end the bounty, or any of the available grants, at anytime, with or without cause; (2) amend the terms herein; (3) change the Evaluators composition. LiquidApps will communicate and apply such changes by publishing notice on Slack’s #announcements channel. By participating in the bounty, or continuing to participate after any such changes occurred, you shall be deemed to have accepted the applicable terms and conditions.
- The DAPP Network is open and is not controlled by LiquidApps, any of the Evaluators, and/or any of their affiliates. You remain at all times an independent party. Parties participating in the bounty and the submitted projects to the bounty, including the team that will be awarded and win the bounty, will not form or claim to have any partnership, joint venture, cooperation, employment, collaboration and/or business relations with LiquidApps, any of the Evaluators and/or any of their affiliates, or be affiliated with them in any way.
- Any use of any of LiquidApps, the Evaluators and/or any of their affiliates, names, brands, trademarks or trade signs is hereby forbidden, without prior written approval from the relevant party. The only use that shall be permitted is in reference to the bounty (provided that you shall not imply any endorsement by LiquidApps, the Evaluators and/or any of their affiliates).
- You agree not to make any other statements or publication, without the prior written consent of LiquidApps, implying any circumstances, terms or relations which are different from those stated herein.
- You do not have any authority of any kind to bind LiquidApps, the Evaluators and/or any of their affiliates in any respect whatsoever.
- LiquidApps reserves the right to make all decisions relating to the bounty at its sole discretion, and such decisions are final and binding. Participants in the bounty agree that: (1) any and all disputes, claims, and/or causes of action arising out of or connected with this bounty, or any benefits received, or the administration of the bounty, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by arbitration, under the Rules of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce by one arbitrator appointed in accordance with the said Rules. The place of arbitration shall be Zug, Switzerland. The arbitration procedure shall be conducted in English. The Swiss federal court (Bundesgericht) will have exclusive jurisdiction over any appeals of an arbitration decision; (2) any and all claims, judgments and reliefs shall be limited to actual direct out of pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with participating in the bounty and in no event shall participant be entitled to receive attorneys’ fees or other legal costs; (3) under no circumstances will a participant be permitted to obtain reliefs for and participants hereby waive all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out of pocket expenses; and (4) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or relating to the bounty, or any grant awarded must be brought within one (1) year after the occurrence of the event giving rise to such claim (if such claim is not filed, then that claim is permanently barred). Except where prohibited, all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these terms and conditions, or the rights and obligations of participant(s) and LiquidApps in connection with the bounty, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of Israel, without regard for conflicts of law doctrine of any jurisdiction, and subject to resolution through arbitration only in Tel Aviv, Israel. LiquidApps’s failure to exercise or enforce any right or provision under these terms and conditions will not constitute a waiver of such right or provision and will not be deemed a waiver of any further rights hereunder.
- NO WARRANTY. LIQUIDAPPS, ITS AFFILIATED COMPANIES AND ALL OF THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, REPRESENTATIVES AND AGENTS (COLLECTIVELY, THE “RELEASED PARTIES”) EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND (WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE), INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON INFRINGEMENT. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL RELEASED PARTIES BE HELD RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR A PARTICIPANT’S USE OF ANY INFORMATION AND/OR PRODUCTS PUBLISHED AND/OR MADE AVAILABLE BY THE RELEASED PARTIES WITH OR WITHOUT CONNECTION TO THE BOUNTY OR FOR ERRORS OR ANOMALIES RESULTING IN THE UNINTENDED OR ERRONEOUS PARTICIPATION, AWARD OF BOUNTY PRIZE OR OTHER BENEFITS UNDER THE BOUNTY TO PARTICIPANTS. RELEASED PARTIES OFFER NO ASSURANCES, GUARANTEES OR WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS THAT THE BOUNTY OR BOUNTY WEBSITES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR FREE AND DOES NOT GUARANTEE THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED THROUGH THE BOUNTY. RELEASED PARTIES ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY COMPUTER RELATED DAMAGES DUE TO DOWNLOADING MATERIALS. RELEASED PARTIES WILL NOT BE LIABLE, AND ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE, FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND RELATED TO A PARTICIPANT’S PARTICIPATION OR INABILITY TO PARTICIPATE IN THE BOUNTY, WHETHER THE DAMAGES ARE DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL. FURTHER, BY PARTICIPATING IN THE BOUNTY AND/OR ACCEPTING A BOUNTY PRIZE, A PARTICIPANT AGREES THAT THE RELEASED PARTIES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR, AND WILL BE HELD HARMLESS BY PARTICIPANT AGAINST, ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE, INJURY OR LOSS TO PERSON (INCLUDING DEATH) OR PROPERTY DUE IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, TO ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, USE OR MISUSE OF A BOUNTY PRIZE, PARTICIPATION IN ANY BOUNTY RELATED ACTIVITY, RELEASED PARTIES’ USE OF ANY TENDERED ENTRY OR PARTICIPATION IN THIS BOUNTY.