Grab Your Hard Hat
The Mission Newsletter, 10/24/18
“Doing is a quantum leap from imagining.” — Barbara Sher
Why Do Buildings Cost So Much?
Hundreds of onlookers craned their necks to look up into the sky. They had never seen a building quite like it. It was not the first skyscraper, but it was the first one over 100 stories and it would stand as the tallest building in the world for nearly 40 years.
It rose over New York City like a beacon, urging viewers to reach higher and dream bigger.
The Empire State Building was a marvel of engineering and design. It was named one of the seven wonders of the modern world by the American Society of Civil Engineers.
It contained a beautiful Art Deco spire, a breath-taking observation deck, and over 37 million cubic feet of interior space.
And yet if you ask a modern architect or builder what the most remarkable thing about the Empire State Building is, they won’t mention any of this. They mention something that is much, much more surprising…
(Pssst… Like what you heard? Subscribe to The Future of Cities podcast!)
Your Laptop’s Looking a Little Rough These Days…
So it might be time to replace it 😏
Enter October’s Giveaway for a chance to win a 12-in MacBook and $300 Apple app store credit! The contest ends at the end of the month, so be sure to toss your name into the hat now!
News that Matters:
- It’s hard being a teenager. But adolescents are making their lives even harder by having a caffeine habit — which can lead to increased anxiety, sleep issues and poor performance in school.
- According to recent data, Americans are expected to spend more than $72 billion on their pets this year alone. Toasty’s worth it though… 🐕
- Want to be a success? Steve Case, the founding CEO of AOL has some advice on the subject:
“It ultimately comes down to people and teams, that entrepreneurship is a team sport, it’s not about any one person.”
- A new paper proposes that animated characters can be digitally rendered using videos of the physical activities you want to animate.
- Netflix is banking on the population’s love of the RomCom. The streaming service saw 80 million subscribers push play on Netflix Original Romantic Comedies in the past few months.
The Mission is a new kind of media company. We publish stories, videos, and podcasts to help smart people get smarter. You can find us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram or learn more about us here. We’d love to connect!
he Mission helps mission-driven companies build trust and connect with customers in a new way. We create custom podcast sponsorships for enterprise companies. To learn more about why companies like Salesforce trust us to produce results, connect with our team here.