Why I write? And you should too.
My relationship with writing is complicated. I used to write regularly. On startups and life lessons. That was two years back.
And then I gave up. Other works got into the way. I told myself that I did not have time. Or this is a futile exercise. Hardly any impact on others.
And then I took up writing again a few months back. This time on a more regular basis.
I also found publication like The Mission on Medium which gives a much broader reach. I seemed to have found something — not sure what this thing is though, yet.
However, one thing for sure. Writing is helping me in a couple of other ways.
Here it goes:
1. It helps me think: Pouring my thoughts on the screen is a good way to think better. It improves the thought process. It helps analysis of situations. Improves introspection.
2. It helps me to communicate better: Now that I have started thinking better, it also helps communication. Verbally. I make more sense when I talk, I think.
3. It expands my reading list: Sometimes I need to do research to improve my writing. That takes me to all sort of interesting places. Explore books that I did not consider before.
4. It makes me curious: Writing is making me more curious about others. Trying to understand the life story of people I meet. Why we do what we do.
5. It helps build good routines: I check myself when I do something that I will not recommend in my writings. Makes me accountable to myself and my readers.
6. It builds patience: I realized that writing does not come easily to me. I have to work hard to finish a blog. That takes patience. I developed a more relaxed attitude towards work in general.
7. It opens me up to accept criticism: As I started writing, I have received different types of feedback. Some not so complimentary. Writing helps me develop a certain sense of “ Don’t give a f*ck” against public opinion.
8. It creates followers: On the flip side, writing helped me to create a bunch of followers. Who look forward to my writing and probably get some benefit out of it. That makes my day.
9. It opens new opportunities: I am getting approached to talks. Invited to different forums. Writing opens new doors.
And so, you should take up writing also. When you write something and hit publish, you never know who will read it. You are opening up yourself to the vast world of internet, to billions of people out there.
Embrace yourself for surprises! It is great fun.
Before you go…
If you think other people should read this blog, press the 💚 button, tweet and share the post. Follow me on Medium to get notified about my future posts.
You may also like my 27-pages Free ebook — a collection of selected blogs. It will give you specific steps (specially check out the seven steps to make tough choices in life) to follow to be successful in life and career.