Backcountry popcorn on your backpacking stove!
Popcorn is an American favorite. We order ridiculously large buckets of it at the movies and microwave it at home. We top it with butter, cheese, and even caramel. With this easy recipe you can enjoy popcorn on your next backpacking or hiking trip.
Cooking Time: Around 3–4 minutes
- Yellow or White Popcorn kernels
- Preferred Oil (we love coconut oil)
- Salt and other optional toppings
Gather these Tools
- Backpacking Stove
- Pot with a Lid
- Add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pot
- Add just enough popcorn kernels to cover the bottom of the pot
- Set stove to medium and cover with lid. Adjust heat as needed.
- Gently shake the pot over the heat. This will ensure that the kernels fall to the bottom and the popcorn rises to the top.
- Listen for the popping to slow. Remove from heat when the time between pops is 2–3 seconds (or when popcorn starts to overfill the pot).
- Add seasoning and desired toppings. We brought powdered white cheddar and it was delicious.
Make fresh popcorn on your next adventure and let us know how it turns out!