Quick Facts for Your Holiday Mic Drop
Welcome to Trump’s America, where everything hurts and the facts don’t matter! Except they do — you know that and so do we. Whether you’re fighting with your relatives this holiday or can’t stop yourself from interrupting the couple in front of you in the miles long line at the grocery store, we’ve got you covered on some key subjects. Maybe if you repeat them enough times, someone will start to believe you!
- According to the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy, the richest 5% of households will receive 61% of the tax cuts in 2027 under the House plan. The individual tax cuts all sunset in 2027, while the corporate tax cuts are permanent.
- Repealing the individual insurance mandate could result in premiums rising by as much as 10% and will kick 13 million people off their insurance.
- The Senate and the House bills agree on the central goal of tax reform — cutting the corporate tax rate. They just disagree on how to pay for it — and it will cost upwards of $1.3 trillion over ten years.
- The GOP Tax Reform plan makes foreign income tax free for U.S companies.
- “About 75% of the savings would go to businesses, thanks to a reduction of the corporate rate to 20% from 35%, and other changes. Individuals would enjoy the other 25%, with large tax cuts for the wealthy and less accruing to the middle class.” In fact, 11 million Americans would actually see their taxes go up immediately, and half of all Americans will see them go up over time. (Source)
Uranium One (Source)
- Honestly if anyone brings up Uranium One at your Thanksgiving table, you might be shit out of luck. They may be lost. But show them Shep Smith debunking it if you can. It’s got the Fox News logo in the corner and everything. It’s very soothing.
- Okay fine, you want facts? We’ll give you some facts. But we’re not going to spend much time on this because it’s ridiculous. Basically, Uranium One was a Canadian company with control over about 20% of US uranium extraction capacity. In 2007, while Hillary Clinton was running for president, a donor to the Clinton Foundation sold his company, UrAsia, in a merger with Uranium One. In 2010 Uranium one was bought by Russia’s nuclear energy agency, Rostrom.
- Because this deal involved the purchase of ownership stake in US companies by a foreign entity, the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) and the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission approved the deal. In fact 9 entities approved the deal and no evidence suggests that Hillary Clinton was personally involved. Also, Russia cannot export any of the Uranium it extracts. Also, this is a TOTALLY NORMAL THING THAT HAPPENS.
- Ugh we’ve already spent too much time on this. Stop playing their game, Sheeple! If this comes up, just remember indictment day, and smile.
Police Brutality (Source)
- Black Americans are 2.5 times more likely to be killed by police than White Americans. While there are more white Americans killed by police numerically, it’s a useless statistic unless you adjust for population.
- In 2015, racial minorities made up approximately 37.4% of the population — and 46.6% of armed and unarmed victims in police killings. Racial minorities made up 62.7% of unarmed people killed by police overall.
- In 2016, at least 233 black Americans were shot and killed by police.
- In 2016, there were at least 458 deaths from police shootings in the United States. There were 8 in Germany and 0 in Japan and Great Britain.
Sexual Assault/Harassment (Source)
- Rates of false reporting for sex related crimes are between 2–8%, commensurate or lower than false reporting for other crimes.
- An American is sexually assaulted every 98 seconds.
- Even today, only 6 out of every 1,000 rapists will end up in prison.
- 1 out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime (14.8% completed, 2.8% attempted).
Gun Control (Source)
- On average, 93 people are killed by a gun per day in the United States.
- America has 4.4 percent of the world’s population, but almost half of the civilian-owned guns around the world.
- 3% of Americans own half of the guns in the US.
- When a gun is present in a domestic violence situation, a woman is five times more likely to be killed.
- States with more guns report more suicides.
- States with higher rates of gun ownership also have higher rates of gun deaths.
- If someone mentions Chicago, just remind them that there are no gun stores in the city of Chicago, and that while Illinois has strict gun laws, Indiana does not, and no one checks the truck of your car when you drive across state lines.
- Undocumented Americans pay $11.64 billion annually in state and local taxes.
- Undocumented Americans pay $12 billion annually to the Social Security Trust Fund.
- From 2009 to 2014, 1 million Mexicans and their families (including U.S.-born children) left the U.S. for Mexico. U.S. census data for the same period show an estimated 870,000 Mexican nationals left Mexico to come to the U.S.
- Immigrants are less likely to commit crimes, and be incarcerated, than the native born population.
- The Center for American Progress estimated that the U.S. would lose about $460 billion in GDP over the next 10 years without DACA.
- After getting DACA, nearly 80 percent of respondents said they got driver’s licenses. About half became organ donors.