It happened again!
I met up with a fellow Medium writer in real life.
Allow me to recap the rules of what I hope will become a series of meet-ups around the globe:
- Post a cover photo of you and a fellow writer meeting up. Say a few words about the chosen location.
- Do not disclose the identity of your guest. Let the readers guess! Drop a few hints or include a brief Q&A.
- Whether you show your faces in the photo is entirely up to you two.
- Agree with your guest on whether or not the story will be behind the paywall.
- May be published in the publication of your choice.
- Tag the story with “Getting Coffee” and “Meetup”.
A few words about my new mystery guest:
- She is fairly new to this platform, so this should be challenging and may require some googling outside of Medium to guess her identity.
- She is an actor, comedian, with a rotating lineup of 15+ characters that she performs on the comedy club circuit, including a dark, soulful and very funny send-up of Melania Trump.
- She is of that rare breed of New York-based performing artists who was actually born in New York, specifically Queens.
- Her credits include McSweeney’s Internet Tendency, a small role on the HBO series Veep, and appearances as a storyteller on The Moth.
- She has a very Italian last name (and lineage) although (by her own admission) she doesn’t quite look the part.
- We met up in the very cozy and fun Future You Café, in the East Village hipster mecca of New York City.
Correct or respectable guesses earn bragging rights and a chance to do a meet-up with me, all coffee-related expenses covered.
how it all started: