It’s a Big Day for The POM — Calling All New Editors!
An application for new editors for The POM is now open
Hello all you fine POMpoets! This is your chance to give back to The POM community with a little bit of time and service.
Samantha Lazar and I are looking for a few new Submissions Editors to join our team. Here are the details:
The POM open editorial positions
The POM seeks 2–3 submission editors to work with poets on polishing and publishing drafts. This will be the only responsibility of the Submissions Editors, but a critical one for our publication. We will review applicants in June and choose the candidates we feel best fit the core movement of our publication.
- Review submissions. The work can be scheduled between the Submissions Editors who need to work together on submissions. Once trained, Samantha and I will work with editors to create a submissions schedule that works for all.
- Review submissions for correct kicker/title/subtitle format.
- Review submissions for appropriate use of image and image credit.
- Review submissions for grammatical and spelling blunders that need correcting. We do not make these corrections but leave private comments to ask the poet to make the necessary changes.
- Look for one or two areas to make suggestions for improvement, if needed, to press our writers toward curation standard practices and to elevate their work.
- Work with poets via private messaging in a kind, suggestive, and helpful manner.
- Work with and communicate to poets a predetermined set of article guides to show poets where they can find answers to make corrections.
- Re-review and publish as submissions are ready.
- Submissions that have multiple issues may need to be rejected, inviting the poet to work on it a bit more (with small suggestions and reason for rejection) and then to resubmit to The POM if they wish. Consult with Christina or Samantha to make this decision.
- Provide a few samples of your best poetry work and article work. Also, provide Medium handle so we can vet that your work is polished/displays proper Medium formatting and appearance.
- Show your background in poetry academics or workshopping experience.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm to uphold the core values of The POM and to help others grow in poetry.
- Reliability is crucial to be sure the publication runs smoothly.
- An onboarding training will be provided and attendance is necessary to get you prepared to complete tasks.
- Work well with others — this is highly important to keeping the POMteam working smoothly. We will choose people who will work well with each other and who demonstrate enthusiasm to be a team player.
- Attend occasional Zoom or Google Meets to keep editorial staff up to date and working in the same direction.
This is not a paying opportunity but being an editor for a well-respected and well-read publication will help to develop your recognition on Medium.
Here’s how to apply: Click HERE to get to the Google Form Application.
Applications must be received by May 31, 2021. Decisions will be made in June after Samantha and I have had a chance to review the applicants.